New release from Airfix.......woohooo!!!!

I think that's the best news I have heard since, oh, perhaps the Airfix Vulcan. I have two part-finished TSR-2's, the Contrail 1/48 vacform and the Resitech 1/72 multi-medium (resin, etched brass, white metal) which is very good indeed, if rather heavy. At £15 a throw I can see me buying several; and I'd like to find more information about the wing pylon design and projected loads.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Your not the only one wanting more info about that Alan

Alastair Macfarlane

Reply to
Gondor

message

goto the airfix website/news and letter from the director, bit of info so far

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

incidentially

We weren't joking. We did the spoof Airfix TSR.2 boxart last year to push the idea forward and look how well it worked. What we have to do now is buy the kit in enough numbers (at least 10,000) so Airfix can breakeven profit wise on this and do another kit 'for the modeller'. When you consider they were planning a TSR.2 kit 40 years ago and that many kids back then are now adult modellers with more spending power, they have a good chance.

Nick (getting a minimum 2 kits!)

Reply to
Nick Pedley

snip

Great idea! I must have missed that; is it available on the net somewhere? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Various thoughts on that one.... Why produce a kit of a cancelled airplane? Who (in the 1960s) would buy it? ;-)

Airfix may have held back on the kit on design secrecy plans, we didn't want the evil Commies copying our best aircraft design from a kit. In hindsight they would have got the plans via their spies! Having said that, there were similar designs already being built by a Soviet aircraft design bureaux, Sukhoi is probably the one.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

(don't know if it's accessible to nonmembers, though)

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Nick,

When Gordon Sutcliffe (Mr Contrail) did his vacform TSR2 many years back, he got the drawings from British Aerospace (or BAC as it probably was then?).

I remember him telling me that he had to provide evidence that he had a safe in which to keep the drawings - and they arrived by courier with a security guard.

As I recall, his vacform wasn't all that accurate(?) - but it WAS based on the manufacturer-supplied drawings!

Ken

PS - The made-up TSR-2 on Airfix's stand at the Nats was not a test-shot was it - I assume it was one of yours ??

I think some of the contributors here think it was a genuine test shot.

PPS - The Sukhoi design was the T6 - a fixed-wing prototype of the later swing-wing Su-24. To meet the short-field requirement, the T6-1 had four lift engines in the fuselage for STOL and turned-down wingtips, so it looked a bit like a TSR-2.

Reply to
Ken Duffey

No, the TSR.2 on the Airfix stand this year and last year was the Heritage resin kit built by Trevor Snowden to promote the injection plans.

That's what I was thinking of. Let's face it, aircraft design to very specific requirements often results in similar plans in very separate locations.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley
[Contrail 1/72 TSR-2]>As I recall, his vacform wasn't all that accurate(?) - but it WAS based

No, it wasn't. The cockpit was way too wide, and there was no easy way to fix it. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Besides, if Airfix had released a TSR way back when, we wouldn't be getting a (hopefully) modern, accurate kit of it now... just a crappy reissue full of raised panel lines and battleship rivets. :-) Stop your whinging, the lot of you.

RobG Put me down for two. At least.

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Seen a picture of a TSR2 on a Japanese animation - any ideas what this is?

Reply to
Martin

snipped-for-privacy@spam.spam (Martin) wrote in :

This is the home page of the series:

figure:

Reply to
Harro de Jong

I was able to view without problem. Very nice job on the ersatz box-I want one!

Who's the gent holding the ersatz box? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote in :

Trevor (Snowden?), an Airfix executive and TSR.2-fan.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Well, he certainly seemed pleased. I doubt most company figureheads would "get the joke" in other instances. Like the ones I'm perpetrating...

Do you know who did the box? I'd like a copy! tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

If I see it on eBay I'll check to see if the auction ends on April 1.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com:

Wish I could remember.,.

Suggest asking on the Airfix forums (airfix.com)

They'll either know or its one of them.

Reply to
Peter Baxter

Can't remember his real name, but he posts in the What If site by the name of Mairfrog

(Simon I think)

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

snipped-for-privacy@dial.pipex.com (Dave Fleming) wrote in :

And this is the site: