OT: 1st Grade Homework Problem -Help

okay, stop laughing..... I can't figure it out...

what shape has four sides and 3 corners?

I'm 44 and I can't figure it out what the shape would be..... I feel very old.....

Thx - Craig

Reply to
Craig

.>Subject: OT: 1st Grade Homework Problem -Help

A tetrahedron. A solid composed of four triangles joined at the apexes.

I don't think this is first grade stuff though.

HTH.

Ed "The French couldn't hate us any more unless we helped 'em out in another war." --Will Rogers

(Delete text after dot com for e-mail reply.)

Reply to
RobbelothE

Nope, it has 4 sides and 4 corners (base is a triangle {3 corners} plus 3 sides and one tip {another corner}) Jose.

Reply to
Jose Altube

Pyramid?

Brent

Reply to
Seawolf

It's probably one of those amazingly simple answers, but I can't think of one so... you got a cucumber handy?

1) Cut a slice off the cucumber so that you have a disk. 2) Cut the disk in two equal pieces. 3) Stand one of the halves up on the table on it's skin. The cut you made created a rectangular face and the way you have it positioned this face should be coplanar to the table top so that looking down you see something like this:

X-------------------------------------------------------------------- | | | | X | | X -------------------------------------------------------------------

4) See those three X's? Draw two lines connecting the 2 corner X's with the one on the opposite side. Cut straight down along those two lines. You should wind up with an irregular polygon with a triangular base, two vertical slab sides that form a knife edge and a curved side covered by the rind. That's four sides and three corners by my count.

I have no idea what you would call this shape, but it meets the criteria. Brutal, but effective. Throw the cucumber pieces in a bowl of lettuce and we all know what THAT's called. ;-)

WmB

WmB

I think the picturegram took a shit due to MSOE's margins. One more time:

X--------------------------------- | | | | x | | X---------------------------------

Two lines, X to x.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

It sounds like a riddle--for example, a triangle has three corners, three sides, plus an 'inside'--don't know if that's what they're getting at though. Anyway, why wouldn't the outside be fifth side then? But it's logic for first-graders, so who knows?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

The alternative is a trick question.

1 triangle = 3 angles + three sides + inside + outside = 3 angles + 5 sides

3 angles + 4 sides is a mathematical impossiblity. (But then I am no mathematician.)

Reply to
Klm

Simple answer is: The capital printed letter M. If you watch it closely, you get something like this:

I\ /I I \ / I I \/ I I I I I

So, you have two corners on top - one left and one right, and one corner in the middle. And it's made of four sides...

Terminator

"I'll be back..."

Reply to
Terminator

Ah, Grasshopper, consider this...Do you not have twice as many corners? An "inside" and an "outside" corner at each location?

Oxmoron1

Reply to
OXMORON1

Check the binaries group for a quick sketch of a solution. I'm sure the real answer is a riddle, but at least it's a start.

WmB

WmB

Sounds like a teacher who blew it because I came up with the same as you.

Reply to
Grandpa

I think that's probably the answer they are looking for...couldn't think of how to get the circular section in there off the bat myself, though...kudos.

Reply to
Rufus

Thus making your observation both acute and obtuse....;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak