ot

dial code from uk-US please

anyone?

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

i thought it was 1 checking with google but i want to dial 978-742-9960 so i put the 1 infront but operator says invalid......

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I think it's "001" but it's been quite a while since I've used a commercial phone to dial froim overseas to the US.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

thanks Bill, will try it

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

YES thats it, just spoke to some guy about my CHiPS toys off evil bay, been shipped as i speak!! woooooooooo

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

who's in western ma? isn't it 01?

I can appreciate that some people couldn't understand you. I answered an ad for a model car kit once and the seller was in Jackson, Miss. I've heard Southern before but I was somewhat taken aback by what I heard. I've often wondered if he had as much trouble understanding me as I did him. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

When i lived in London many moons ago US tourists always thought i was German, as i have a nor'vern axunt........if you have seen The Full Monty then thats me.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

A friend of mine, World War II vet, used to tell the story of how he got wounded during the Battle of the Bulge. He had gotten lost and after a day of wandering around he blundered into the British lines. In the dark and confusion he got a bayonet in the face. "Goddam Welshmen couldn't speak English any better than the Damn Germans". I can hear him growling that yet.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

You might fit in here then. We have a bit of a German sound to our speech. Most of Lancaster County's population arrived from the Rhineland or Switzerland. We also have some Huguenots and Scots-Irish. I remember reading in a book once that Americans have a hard time with Yorkshire accents. Something about them being 'impenetrable'. PS. Missed the movie.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I guess not everyone in the US speaks like they are in Dukes of Hazzard....

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

painful!

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

No, but it's real easy to slip into it. Bill Shuey's story reminded me of one printed in the local paper awhile back about a local guy who was wounded in France. He sounded so German to the US Army docs that he found himself in with the German prisoners. It took a lot of convincing and some time before he was released to rejoin his own unit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes, Yankees sound funny

Reply to
Kilowatt

ever try gullah? i didn't know it wasn't english based and almost went whacko.