OT: 633 Squadron movie

The TV serial "Piece of Cake" made a point of using real Spitfires, even though Hurricanes were historically more accurate. The reasoning was that people would rather see 5 real planes, flown by experts, than many more models and CGI planes. After seeing "Pearl Harbor" I thoroughly agree.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Especially when they have Zeros going about as fast as an A-4 !

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

The CGI crowd write all the in-house software as add-ons to make sea spray, faces move, hair etc but don't seem to put in ordinary restrictions such as flight dynamics.

Back to school lads!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Actually, "Star Wars" used movies lile "Battle of Britain" and "633 Squadron" as the model for the space fighting scenes, giving Tie Fighters the physics of Spitfires. "Pearl Harbor" gave their P-40's and Zeroes the rollrate of f-16s.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

did the 617 planes just have rears and fronts? for fuel? the bomb was only 10 tons, correct?

In article , e writes

Yes.

The bomb was 'only' 9,600lbs but it hung underneath partially in the airflow. There was extra machinery on board (usually described as a hydraulic motor) to spin the bomb up to 500 RPM before release. The extra drag of the bomb was probably the main reason the mid-upper turrets were removed. The mid-upper gunners were put in the nose turret (usually operated by the bomb aimer) because they wanted to be able to shoot back on the bomb run. The guns were loaded with full tracer for maximum effect.

Reply to
John Halliwell

He does say "Get ready to pull me out of the seat if I get hit"

Dam Busters "Look at the size of that thing, can we really break that" Star Wars has a similar statement

Dam Busters "I count x guns, some in the towers, some in the fields" Star Wars something like "There are y guns, some in the towers, some on the surface"

I probably haven't got them exactly right but there are probably several others.

Reply to
John Halliwell

Probably to wow the crowds between the deadly dull scenes. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Great! I'm gonna get a copy of Dambusters and compare the scripting with Star Wars! I'm told there's a dubbed version of SW with northern accents and Darth Vader sounds like Oz from Auf Wiedersehen Pet... but more menacing. I always felt the SW trilogy owed a lot to the old b+w matinee films, especially the garbage crusher scene which I saw a version of in an old Zorro film one Sunday afternoon on BBC2 many years ago.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

"Richard Brooks" wrote in news:bh2tpd$tvb$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

Not only that but the damn planes flew very steadily. None of the usual yaw, pitch and roll, though modest a normal airplane would exhibit. The airplanes on PH looked "dead" or lifeless to me.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

They tried putting Ben Affleck's face in one of the cockpits, but the dummies looked more lifelike.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

I was reading the postings about the movie "633 Squadron" and recall a movie I saw in the early 70s. It had to do with a squadron of French pilots flying F8Fs against the Viet Minh in the

1950s It was basically a love story, but did have some very good footage of the Bearcats both in the air and on the ground, with a really good over view of the cockpit in several scenes. Its been almost 30 years now and I can't recall the name. Its the only movie I've ever seen with the F-8 in it and would like to know if its available for viewing on VCR or DVD? Mike IPMS
Reply to
Mike Keown

Although the movie was flawed, the few times I've seen it I 've been entertained. Only the ending really p*ssed me off...as the ferry that the heavy water was transferred to, was shown to be only occupied by Germans soldiers and Norwegian resistance, in reality there were hundreds of Norwegians aboard and a large number of them drowned when the ferry went down. But like Pearl Harbor you just pass the popcorn, sip your beer, and bear with it. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Mike,

You have confused "633 Squadron" and "The Heroes of Telemark"! Former only has the bombing of a paper-mache mountain at the end of it.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Grins Cookie; I was wondering "heavy water???" .... yep 633 had the awesome and oh-so-realistic bombing of the mountain, devastating the factory beneath it.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Mike:

The only movie I can recall from that era which featured French Bearcats was an "art" film titled "Sundays and Cebral" (Sebral?)

Might not be the flick you are thinking about as this show only had a brief montage of shots explaining how the main character crashed, killing a Vietnamese girl, which continued to haunt his psyche - leading to his later fixation and laison with a young French orphan girl. (???)

I've seen the film just once on late night TV. First time I saw it was about 1963. Little did I know that within three years I would be in 'Nam !!!

Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

Reply to
Unamodeler

Well one of the books of 633 squadron had it with "Heavy Water", otherwise the same story - At least one can be entertained and see real airplanes.

Claus "Stephen Tontoni" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.mindspring.com...

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

You Know Rick it could have been that one. I saw it in the early seventies, real early, and I had been home from Nam for three years. I know I must have been 'futzed up to the mizax' when I saw it as most of my visual things, in those days, were. Things get all confused with drugs, age and time...don't you know? Remembrance Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown