OT: BIKER VS THE SQUIRREL

A little OT, but GOOD for a laugh.
I never dreamed slowly cruising on my motorcycle through a residential
neighborhood could be so incredibly dangerous! Little did I suspect...
I was on Brice Street - a very nice neighborhood with perfect lawns and
slow traffic. As I passed an on coming car, a brown, furry missile shot
out from under it and tumbled to a stop immediately in front of me.
It was a squirrel, and it must have been trying to run across the road
when it encountered the car. I really was not going very fast, but there
was no time to brake or avoid it -- it was that close. I hate to run over
animals, and I really hate it on a motorcycle, but a squirrel should pose
no danger to me.
I barely had time to brace for the impact. Animal lovers, never fear.
Squirrels, I discovered, can take care of themselves.
Inches before impact, the squirrel flipped to his feet. He was standing on
his hind legs and facing my oncoming Valkyrie with steadfast resolve in
his beady little eyes.
His mouth opened, and at the last possible second, he screamed and leapt!
I was pretty sure the scream was Squirrel for "Bonzai!" or maybe "Die, you
gravy-sucking, heathen scum!" The leap was nothing short of spectacular...
He shot straight up, flew over my windshield, and impacted me squarely in
the chest. Instantly, he set upon me. If I did not know better, I would
have sworn he brought 20 of his little buddies along for the attack.
Snarling, hissing, and tearing at my clothes, he was a frenzy of activity.
As I was dressed only in a light T-shirt, summer riding gloves, and jeans,
this was a bit of a cause for concern. This furry little tornado was doing
some damage!
Picture a large man on a huge black-and-chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans,
a T-shirt, and leather gloves, puttering at maybe 25 mph down a quiet
residential street, and in the fight of his life with a squirrel.
And losing...
I grabbed for him with my left hand. After a few misses, I finally managed
to snag his tail. With all my strength, I flung the evil rodent off to the
left of the bike, almost running into the right curb as I recoiled from
the throw. That should have done it. The matter should have ended right
there.
It really should have. The squirrel could have sailed into one of the
pristinely kept yards and gone on about his business, and I could have
headed home. No one would have been the wiser. But this was no ordinary
squirrel. This was not even an ordinary angry squirrel. This was an EVIL
MUTANT ATTACK SQUIRREL OF DEATH! Twisted Evil.
Somehow he caught my gloved finger with one of his little hands and, with
the force of my throw, swung around and with a resounding thump and an
amazing impact, landed squarely on my BACK and resumed his rather
antisocial and extremely distracting activities. He also managed to take
my left glove with him! The situation was not improved, not improved at
all.
His attacks were continuing, and now I could not reach him. I was
startled, to say the least. The combination of the force of the throw,
only having one hand (the throttle hand) on the handlebars, and my jerking
back unfortunately put a healthy twist through my right hand and into the
throttle. A healthy twist on the throttle of a Valkyrie can have only one
result. Torque.
This is what the Valkyrie is made for, and she is very, very good at it.
The engine roared and the front wheel left the pavement.
The squirrel screamed in anger.
The Valkyrie screamed in ecstasy.
I screamed in ... well... I just plain screamed.
Now picture a large man on a huge black-and-chrome cruiser, dressed in
jeans, a slightly squirrel-torn T-shirt, wearing only one leather glove,
and roaring at maybe 50 mph and rapidly accelerating down a quiet
residential street on one wheel, with a demonic squirrel of death on his
back.
The man and the squirrel are both screaming bloody murder.
With the sudden acceleration, I was forced to put my other hand back on
the handlebars and try to get control of the bike.
This was leaving the mutant squirrel to his own devices, but I really did
not want to crash into somebody's tree, house, or parked car. Also, I had
not yet figured out how to release the throttle...my brain was just simply
overloaded. I did manage to mash the back brake, but it had little effect
against the massive power of the big cruiser.
About this time, the squirrel decided I was not paying sufficient
attention to this very serious battle (maybe he was an evil mutant NAZI
attack squirrel of death), and he came around my neck and got INSIDE my
full-face helmet with me.
As the face plate closed part way, he began hissing in my face. I am quite
sure my screaming changed intensity. It had little effect on the squirrel,
however. The RPMs on the Dragon maxed out (since I was not bothering with
shifting at the moment), so her front end started to drop.
Now picture a large man on a huge black-and-chrome cruiser, dressed in
jeans, a very raggedly torn T-shirt, wearing only one leather glove,
roaring at probably 80 mph, still on one wheel, with a large, puffy
squirrel's tail sticking out of the mostly closed full-face helmet. By now
the screams are probably getting a little hoarse.
Finally I got the upper hand ... I managed to grab his tail again, pulled
him out of my helmet, and slung him to the left as hard as I could. This
time it worked ... sort of.
Spectacularly sort-of, so to speak.
Picture a new scene. You are a cop. You and your partner have pulled off
on a quiet residential street and parked with your windows down to do some
paperwork. Suddenly a large man on a huge black-and-chrome cruiser,
dressed in jeans, a torn T-shirt flapping in the breeze, and wearing only
one leather glove, moving at probably 80 mph on one wheel, and screaming
bloody murder roars by, and with all his strength throws a live squirrel
grenade into your police car.
I heard screams.
This time they weren't mine...
I managed to get the big motorcycle under control and dropped the front
wheel to the ground. I then used maximum braking and skidded to a stop in
a cloud of tire smoke at the stop sign of a busy cross street. I would
have returned to 'fess up (and to get my glove back). I really would have.
Really...Except for two things.
First, the cops did not seem interested or the slightest bit concerned
about me at the moment. When I looked back, the doors on both sides of the
patrol were flung wide open. The cop from the passenger side was on his
back, doing a crab walk into somebody's front yard, quickly moving away
from the car. The cop who had been in the driver's seat was standing in
the street aiming a riot gun at his own police car.
So, the cops were not interested in me. They often insist to "let the
professionals handle it" anyway. That was one thing. The other?
Well, I could clearly see shredded and flying pieces of foam and
upholstery from the back seat. But I could also swear I saw the squirrel
in the back window, shaking his little fist at me. That is one dangerous
squirrel. And now he has a patrol car. A somewhat shredded patrol
car...but it was all his.
I took a deep breath, turned on my turn signal, made a gentle right turn
off of Brice Street, and sedately left the neighborhood. I decided it was
best to just buy myself a new pair of gloves. And a whole lot of
Band-Aids.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Man,
alive ... what a ride!" Amen
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
wait till you get attacked by a pissed off pickanese
Squirrels are indeed intriguing creatures.
My uncle (my favorite uncle...the one from French Morocco, and a WWII veteran); was fishing one day. There had been a pretty heavy thunderstorm the day before; and there were quite a few tree branches strewn about the ground.
As my uncle was fishing, he noticed a squirrel scurrying about on a fallen oak branch. The critter was stuffing himself with what ever acorns were left. Unfortunately, the end of the branch extended into the water. Everytime the squirrel would attempt to go towards the end, it would begin to dip into the creek; and the squirrel would chatter, and scurry back to "safer territory". The little critter was quite stubborn though, and tried repeatedly to venture to the end of the branch; but each time...the same result: He would start to get "dunked".
I guess his hunger (or avarice) got the better of him; as he eventually made a quick dash to the end of the branch, and grabbed an acorn. Then just as the branch began to sink, he made a quick dash back to "dry land"....but before he got any further...
...a large mouth bass appeared from nowhere, and had a major feast of squirrel meat!
My uncle was shocked, to say the least....
Reply to
Greg Heilers
...But even more shocking, to my uncle, was several minutes later...when that bass baited the end of the branch with another juicy acorn....
:o)
Reply to
Greg Heilers
one day at the charles st subway station, while it was raining like a horse pissing on a flat rock, i watched a very soggy pigeon flap onto the third rail. there was a bright flash, a muffled boom and then a could of oily smoke with a few feathers drifting down. the pigeon was GONE.
I hate to be the bearer of some really bad news, but you should have rabies shots. The behavior of the "squirrel from hell" is really abnormal. The odds are 1 in a million that you will get rabies, but if you do; you are dead.
I had an equally weird encounter with a raccoon last year and went through the process. No, you will not get shots in your stomach, but you get some very serious injections.
Please go to a doctor and report the incident to the board of health.
Jim
Reply to
Jim McCarty
And Greg Heilers opened up and revealed to the world news:Cxj4e.282$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
Greg,
Gotta say that I would be too. Did he say how big the Bass was??? I'd imagine that it had to be a pretty good sized one. . .
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
And snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) opened up and revealed to the world news:o2k4e.3407448$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:
e,
And a FITTING end IF ya ask me. I can't stand them diease ridden winged rats.
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Probably about as big as the tale was tall... ;-p
Reply to
Al Superczynski
"Digital_Cowboy" wrote in news:Xns962EA818B4E24nobodynobodycom@24.168.128.86:
Oh DC. I am laughing so hard tears are coming out of my eyes. I'm gonna send this to wife's work email and wait for the angry phone call.
Reply to
Gray Ghost
It's a tale from the web...I doubt he was directly involved.
...hope the officers shot the little tree-rat.
Reply to
Rufus
What a Cowboy. ;-)
Well you're a better man than me - I would have dropped the bike. Not on purpose either. Killer squirrels, huh... I'll be on my guard all summer - and in full leather!
WmB
Reply to
WmB
And Rufus opened up and revealed to the world news:lQl4e.1336$yg7.920@attbi_s51:
Rufus,
Yeah, I'd like to see ANYONE hold a wheelie at 80, AND fight a squirrel all at the same time WITHOUT dumping. . . I'd bet that that's one stunt that NOT even Evil would attempt. . .;-)
Although the mental picture of a cop holding a riot gun on his own car is side spliting to say the LEAST. . .;-)
I could just see the "confortation" when they got back to the station house and tried to explain to their CO about the damage to the crusier. . .
First Cop: Uh, sir we were parked on the side of the street doing some paperwork when all of the sudden out of nowhere comes this squirrel. He came in through the passenger side window as if thrown or something.
Second Cop: Yes, sir that's what happened. We were sitting there minding our own business doing paperwork when we were "attacked" we got out of the car as fast as we could we didn't KNOW what it was that was attacking us, so we uh, kind of shot up the car a "little. . ."
First Cop: Yeah, what he said. . .
CO: I want a psych eval on you two and I want it done YESTERDAY. . .
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
"Digital_Cowboy" wrote in message
Yeah... I wouldn't admit to it either. ;-)
WmB
Reply to
WmB
Oh My God -- A horror movie script if I've ever read one!
Digital_Cowboy wrote:
Reply to
Bob Sasak