OT-Brit Slang "carrot-crunching"

Hi all. In the latest issue of the Economist, there's a story about Asian immigration in England. One sentence says "dispite the fond imaginings of the BBC, which has place an Sdian family in "The Archers" a carrot-crunching drama....." What is "carrot crunching?"

In the US, we have the terms tear jerker (sad story that makes one cry) and nail biter (a mystery that involves one so much one bites one's nails). My guess is "carrot cruncher" has some such meaning. I just can't figure out what it is. Help! Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

carrot-crunching = agricultural or farming

Chek

Reply to
Chek

A 'carrot cruncher' in is a mildly derogatory term for a farmer or someone employed in agriculture.

Reply to
Roger Demming

carrot-crunching

The 'Archers' is a long-running BBC radio serial about 'country folk' - set in a ficticious village.

It centres around the lives of a farming community - hence the 'carrot crunchers' (yokels) reference.

Ken

Reply to
Flankerman

More akin to your straw chewers I suppose :)

The others have answered though - Country folk, farmers, etc... carrot crunchers. Has also been extended in some phrases for meaning vegetarians but farmers is the true meaning of the slang :)

carrot-crunching

Reply to
Tone

Arrrr, an' in the Fens 'ere in East Anglia, we 'ave pointy-'eaded, web-footed carrot-crunchers!

Ask any of the lads based at Lakenheath or Mildenhall... They be surrounded by 'em!

Arrrrr!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes