OT: Down to my final few days

I've spent the last week clearing post at Fort Knox and tomorrow leaves me with 3 duty days left in the Army.

I've saved up 90 days of leave and will be bumming at home for a bit before my final retirement day of July 1st.

24+ years went by quickly, over half my life in uniform and April 1st will be my last day in it.

With my National Guard time I did in college, I'm retiring with just under 28 years of miitary service.

Wish me luck as I join the ranks of the unemployed (but hopefully not for too long!).

RobG

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Rob Gronovius wrote the following:

Thanks to you and I hope you have a great retirement.

Reply to
willshak

thx for checkin' our six all those years...

Reply to
Musicman59

Way to go, and congratulations on what I'm sure was a fine career to the good of us all. May your well earned separation bear all the fruits you seek. There should be plenty of good, fun jobs which would build on your experience!

Reply to
Rufus

i'll just be corny and say thanks. my old man did 28+, so i know what it took. hope your bennies and retirement don't get hosed by soem dumbass clerk.

Reply to
someone

Thanks for your service. I'm glad that you'll be having a chance to kick back and enjoy the days you have left like the rest of us. Hope to hear from you on-line in the future.

Reply to
The Old Man

Best of luck with your retirement - you've obviously earned it. Take some some time to kick back and get things together before jumping into another career. You should be able to afford that luxury now. Hopefully we'll get to see some built kits on the binaries site in the near future - again Best of Luck.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Welcome to the ranks of the "former" military (it never seems to leave you, hence the quotes).

I just put in my paperwork to retire from the US Government - 21 years of that on top of 21 years of active duty is enough for me.

Cookie Sewell CW2 US Army (Ret)

1968-1990
Reply to
AMPSOne

Congratulations on your rejoining civvy street! May you not be put on mine-clearing duty the last couple of days :D

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Wow, do you know what it looks like out here in civvy-land? Thanks Rob for all your service to our country.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Thank You !!

Thanx to you and all the guys (and gal's) like you that have been there for the rest of us !! I spent most of my life working construction/being a painter and it pales in comparison to what people like you have given up for the rest of us.

Younger 11 Bravo son only put in five years, but 15 mos in Iraq really did a number on him. But at least his highlight there was running around with a SAW chasing ducks. For some reason he was (and still is) fixated on ducks. Thankfully for the ducks he never caught one, he seems to think they are the smartest creatures on earth. Getting to shoot dog's and the occasional bad guy was OK, but ducks is what he really really wanted to get hold of. Hmmm, there's something wrong with that boy..... (he and his brother are the best things that ever happened to me !!)

Meanwhile.... I know at least I can never forget all the people like you that allowed a simple person like me live my screwed up life the way I wanted to, I never forget this !!

Thank You !!

Reply to
AM

I'll still have my heart in the Army. My 21 yr old son* is a PFC in an infantry company in Germany and will go to Afghanistan this summer and my 22 yr old daughter* is an Army wife with an 11B PFC husband at Ft. Bliss. Unsure of his rotation, but being infantry, he's bound to be going soon.

*technically stepson and stepdaughter, but I'm the only father they've know for the past 19 and a half years.

I'm aware of the job scarcity on the civilian market, but there are all sorts of jobs opening up at Knox because of the movement of the personnel commands from Alexandria, VA, St. Louis, MO, and Indianapolis, IN as well as Cadet Command from Ft. Monroe. Those jobs are here now and available.

Plan C is a retiree recall. I've already been contacted by HRC folks to see if I'd be interested in working there as a recalled retired LTC.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Hey, I Live and Alexndria VA :) Ya ever get here let me know, we only have one fantastic hobby shop (Piper Hobby) and a couple of multi hobby chains.

Younger kid is going to college on the GI Bill and getting straight A's, he will do well.

I don't get much modeling time in anymore, and am in the middle of planning a move to the Shenandoah valley thanx to an incredible (!!!!) girlfriend, but hopefully will have a lot of time then to build away once more. Right now, I'm trying to live in two places at the same time, it's quite tough but wonderful ! (I'm in the love of a lifetime with her !!!)

Thanks Again !

Reply to
AM

April 1st?.... Are you -sure- they're going to let you go? ;) Best of luck in your future endeavors.

rf

Reply to
rfranklin

It's a great life in the forces but I am sure you will enjoy civilan life again. Took me a while to adjust after 20 years in our amy (including 2x tours to Vietnam) but I would do both over again without hesitating

Take care

Tony Chch NZ

Reply to
Stadia

I took a quick walk through the "new" Patton Museum before I signed out this afternoon. When I say quick, I mean quick.

All that's left inside is one old cannon in the foyer. The gift shop area remains intact, but sells mainly T-shirts and those pre-built Forces of Valor armor pieces.

When you walk into the museum proper, to the left is a large room devoted to ROTC. OK, that's about 30 seconds worth of looking.

To the right is where the Patton collection is located; roughly the same spot it was before. His Cadillac is still there, but the deuce and a half command post truck is gone. Added is a beat up 3rd Army Jeep that looks like the one I took photos of at Ft. Lee, VA's Quartermaster museum. I'm not sure if it's the same one or just one dressed up to look like one of his command Jeeps.

Also on display is one of his ivory handled pistols and belt. Just the .45 cal Peacekeeper. The .357 isn't there any longer, although I'm not sure if it was there previously. I do remember it used to be there years ago.

That took about 5 minutes to see what was left.

Here is a list of what's in front of the museum as of today: M60A1 M4A3E8 Sherman M7 Priest M10 tank destroyer M52A1 SP 105mm howitzer M59 APC and a towed 8" gun (like the AFV kit). It sits where the old T28 heavy tank used to be displayed. The T28 is no longer there.

Very sad to see this former Mecca of armor as just an afterthought.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Rob,

Last time I was there (February 1995) they had both the 45 and the .

357 displayed in a single case on clear plastic rods down the barrels. Sounds as if the .357 is someplace else now.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne