OT: French using all caps in LAST NAMES?

The first time I recall seeing this is in the ESM 1/72 book from the late '80s. Nearly every time I see a French name, or any last name referred to in something French, their last names are in all caps. Any particular reason the French do this?

Reply to
frank

I've no idea where you have seen this practice but I'm not aware of it. I have a copy of a recent "Replic" magazine at hand and none of the names are in all caps.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I already mentioned one & if you look at the books by Xavier TOFF, you'll see the same thing. I don't recall ever seeing a "Replic" mag, so that does me no good there anyway.

Reply to
frank

Oh, yeah, a couple of weeks ago I won an eBay auction in France & the seller used the same technique, his last name is all caps.

Reply to
frank

"frank" wrote

In US military reports and documents proper names (last names, towns, and so forth) are all upper case. In German, all nouns are capitalized. Probably a similar tradition.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Not quite accurate.

The names are in bold face, not caps, ie. Brifaut, not BRIFAUT. Countries, aircraft manufacturers and kit manufacturers are also done in bold face.

It was strictly something that the publisher in France did. The British, American and Italian editions followed suite.

Got to admit that I didn't even notice it when I proofed it.

I wonder if it's time for another book? Would have to leave out the check list for two reasons.

1.Current 1/72 aircraft model database has 14,500 kits, vehicles 4335 and thousands of listings for other subjects.

  1. The check list is out of date the minute it goes to the publisher. That's why I publish ESM 72.

Still have a small supply of the hardcover American editiion for those interested. The color photos never go out of date.

E-mail me for information.

Tom Young Co-Author with Huynh-Dhin Khuong and Claude Boileau Encyclopedia of Military Models 1/72

Reply to
maiesm72

Maybe I'm remembering wrong in the ESM book, I'll have to dig it out, but the Xavier TOFF books are for sure that way, 'cause I looked at them again last night. I've seen this elsewhere as well, French - wise All last names (that I saw) are all caps. Yeah, it's time for another, updated book.

Reply to
frank

Hey y'all, It is the way they do it here, and just as Frank described. I know Chris will back this up.

Nom is the last name.. ie nom de famile. And it is capitalized. Prenom is just that. Your first name. Thus, Richard COX.

But, personally, I have only seen this in official stuff (like a check)... mostly. And it is done both in mechanical means (printed, typed, obviously) and hand written (when done in print letters, never seen names in cursive very often).

BTW... just 7 more months in Martigues before I get to come back home to the big commisary.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Hi folks,

It's been a tradition for years (lots of) ... Caps, when used, are to highlight FAMILY NAME versus given name. If you run an International business, the trick is obvious, and useful. So many countries, so many cultures, so simple a fix, VISA wise... Francois- FRENCH

"frank" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Francois Airault

Interesting; i started doing this myself independently when filling out forms and things, because whoever handles these can't seem to keep my first name and last name straight. not so much a problem on webforms where they are labeled "first name" and "last name".