OT how much

What people make of the new Dragnet series? I'm enjoying it more than many other US cop shows. As for Dukes of Hazzard, YEEEEHAAAA!!!! :-)

You didn't inhale, did you? :-p)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

Oh. Inhale. That's what you're supposed to do?

Maybe next decade. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I lived in El Cajon, Ca (just outside San Diego) from '83 to '88, and my rent was $525 for a two bedroom apartment My current wife and I were considering moving back out there, and looking online, found an apartment down the street with the exact same floorplan for $1100. So, since '88 it has more than doubled; I shudder to think what a $500 apartment in '79 dollars would cost now. I'd guess around $15 - $1600 (a bit beyond my budget!). They are currently building a multitude of 2500 - 5000+ square feet single family homes around here, with prices starting at $325k up to $1M, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Who do they realisatically think is going to buy them? At 6.9%, we have the highest unemployment in ten years. One very laughable item is some luxury condos recently built on the banks of the Missiissippi River. For a paltry $500k you enter your "scenic" neighborhood on a private drive that meanders past a picturesque wetland (mosquito infested,scum covered swamp), past a LARGE factory, past the mobile home estate (run down trailer park) to your private driveway. Once you enter your luxurious home, you can sit on your private deck, which overlooks the river, with a beautiful view of...(drum roll)...the powerplant!. Hmm....sign me up!!

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. --Leonardo Da Vinci It's better to teach a child what you know than what you think.

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

I've often wondered whom they're selling all those houses to up in Reading, Pa. Must be commuters as the industrial base is crumbling up there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

i really believe we're going through what the japanese called thier "bubble economy" of the late 80's ot early

90's. their hyperinflation was so bad that at one time the valuation for the city of tokyo based on real estate prices, was more than the value of north america. when this mess implodes, i may be able to live in boston again. i wanna go home.

Just returned from a trip to San Diego. Took a trip down memory lane and saw our old North Park rental ($695/month in the early 90's) listed at $1995/month!

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

My dad spent most of the '90s worried that we were heading for another big depression. I'm kind of glad he didn't see the tumble we took, or some of the other crap that's happened since November 2000.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

just don't let your worrying about it keep your from modeling. or fixing your mail.

Not only didn't we have another big depression, we hardly even had a recession.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

My mom spent most of the fifties through 90s doing the same. When she passed away last year (at 91) we had already disposed of some of the canned and bottled food that took up about 100 square ft. of shelving in the garage. Some of the higher acid stuff like tomato sauce had exploded out of the cans.

Once cleaned up and lined (with quake bumpers on the edges) it now makes nice book shelves for part of the MAI Library.

Oh, and some of the hoarding carries on in the form of a kitchen closet full of food. It gets rotated on a regular basis.

I'm still trying to figure out why my mother kept a stack of about fifty of those white polyfoam take-home food trays. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

They make really nice trays to carry and spray paint parts on. If they're thick enough you can stick sprue pieces right into them (or use florists' foam blocks, like I do) and they help keep overspray to a minimum. Was your mom a closet modeler?

The Old Timer

Damn! Now I'll have to eat out a few times and replace a few of those :-)

Closet modeler? No, but she sure would talk to anybody who would listen about my models, books, magazine and MAI/ESM 72 in general. Used to help put the magazine together until she was too ill to sit at the table for very long.

My father built model cars, especially antiques, and odds and ends. His wood old timer (Jupiter?) still sits on my office window sill.

She wanted me to take her skydiving for her 90th birthday. Doctor laughed her right out of the office. Did take her flying, though. She really enjoyed seeing places she knew so well from the air.

We all need to pay attention to those that shall not be with us much longer.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Amen. She sounds like a grand lady. My own mom helped me build a kit when I got out of the service in 1969. It was a Lindberg Jenny. Her help was in describing the paint scheme of the barnstormer that ~she~ flew in in 1925 or so when she was about 20. I still have that model. Brings back a bunch of memories for me.....

The Old Timer