OT: If this don't cheer you up nothing will. Tower Conversations

"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:m5kec.12388$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

Not sure really. It's been a while since he told the story. I'll try and remember to ask him about it next time I see him.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I read about it in AW&ST when I was a senior in college, say fall '82 or spring '83. It must've happened two or three years prior to have the report issued and published.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:Xspec.10282$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

The time frame sounds about right. We met up in 1989 and he'd been out of LE for a bit by then. I'll confirm with him when I can.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Wasn't there one going around about some pilots getting ground speed checks here in So CA?

Woody

Maiesm72 wrote:

Reply to
Woody

You should have heard some of the conversations we had yesterday in the LAX tower when the power went away!

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Conversations? Don't you mean panic screams? Seriously, don't you guys have generator backup??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

They would need more than generator backup to run all those defibrulators at once. You know, the ones used for all the screamers?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Back to manual control, sorta, but while being NORDO. Glad I'm not a controller anymore.

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

Yes, we have backup. The tower is always on UPS. The city had a 10 second outage, the UPS had a 1/10 sec interruption, & the EG failed to start. By then it was too late anyway. The damage was done. That night we replaced 20 batteries in the UPS, & last night we replaced another

  1. A full complement is 90 batteries.

The biggest problem was with the back-up batteries on the voice switch (what the controllers talk on). Once it took the hit, it took us three & a half hours to bring back up. It is all processor controlled, & doesn't like dirty power. Each controller position had to be remapped as to function of each button & types of circuits (radio, phone line, shout line, override, etc). We replaced the eight batteries for the switch today (regular car batteries).

BTW, c>

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Ouch! Sounds like my hospital group when they replaced the battery backup for the internal phone lines. Apparently they lost the software that ran the whole network on the Thursday and it took till the Monday to sort the whole thing out... was nice and quiet for a few days though! (Until my boss thought of the new email network and had me answering queries for medical records cos no-one else in my office had access to email... grrrr!).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley