OT: Lost my friend, my dog

To my extended family of glue sniffers and rivet counters....

I lost my dog of 15 years Friday night. Cheyenne apparently died in her sleep. If any of you are pet owners, give your pet an extra hug today. You never know if its going to be the last time. Waking up to an empty, quiet house was the hardest thing to do......

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know how attached one can get to a pet (I have cats?eight of 'em) but I know that there are plenty of animals at any shelter that are desperate for a home. Although you can never really replace Cheyenne, I suggest you visit your local shelter and see can't find a new friend.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Ouch - I know how that feels. Went thru the very same thing a year and a half ago. My little carpet tyrant made it to just shy of 16 years. For around 9 months afterwards every time I opened the fridge door I could almost see her jump from her "spot" on the couch and hear the sound of her nails clicking on the tile. And to this day, when I drop a piece of food on the kitchen floor I hesitate to pick it up. For 15 years I rarely ever had to pick up so much as a morsel.

Take some comfort that she went to rest in her sleep. I've had to put down all of my dogs thru the years except for one that was hit by a car. While there was some comfort in being able to say goodbye, the suffering (hers and mine) and agony you go thru with euthanasia is frankly something I can live without.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I feel for you greatly as I've recently found myself checking my own 15 year old each morning when I wake up, and each assuming today will be the day. Making special efforts to offer attention, each assuming it could be her last. This winter in the midwest has been a bit hard on an old arthritic dog. I've lost pets at early ages from tragedy, relocated a few for stupidity, etc. But damn, I don't let my wife sleep in my bed, but the dogs have for 12 & 15 years each(they don't snore as loud as her or fart as much). I can't imagine the first time I go to bed and there's a cold spot that used to be warm. Might be "just a damned dog", but dammit, it's my dog and in this house that means a lot. There's a relationship you have with a dog that goes way beyond that you can possibly have with a fellow human(That said, I'm not a fan of the human animal in general). While I can sympathize and empathize with your pain, I truly can't imagine it, I hope it's some time before I know it first hand, and that when I do I at least have similar comfort in knowing it was peaceful rather than an endurance of suffering.

Best wishes, C

Craig,

Reply to
Pierre Francois

I feel your pain my friend. I had a dog for 16 years, got him for a birthday present when I turned 5. While serving in Desert Storm, I remember talking to my squad leader, another dog lover, and telling him I just wanted to get home before my dog died. Sgt. Korth said, "Don't worry, he'll be there when you get home." I got out of the Army in August of '91, and sure enough he was right. My dog passed 2 weeks after I got home from the Army. For awhile after he died, in the middle of the night, I swear I felt the bed move like it did when he would jump up to sleep with me.

Reply to
Jim

My sympathies to you on your loss. Mine went a week ago Tuesday. She was 14 years old and had cancer. I couldn't let her suffer anymore and had to make the horrible decision to let her go. It does get better after a while and when the time is right, it'll be time to give another pup a good home.

Take care, Dan

Reply to
dnsh

In September of 2002 we lost our beloved Samoyed. He was 13 years old, rather old for that breed. His little buddy, an Eskimo Spitz is now over 14 and I worry about him every day. I know how you feel and my sympathy for your loss

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I an so very sorry for your loss. I have pets as well. In my case they are cats. They all have the run of the house and they're treated just like regular family members. A couple of them are getting long in the tooth as they say. One is I think 12 which is getting old for a Cat. The nexy oldest is about 10 they are slowing up and take more many naps.

Again i'm so very sorry...........

... Carl ..........

,,

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

A brief look into what is really me
Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"

cyberborg 4000

Some unfortunate souls will not understand your grief. To you, and to them, my deepest sympathy.

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

A number of years ago I was living on Balboa Isl. Ca. One afternoon when I came home from work there was this little mixed terrier standing in the street in front of where I lived. I said "look out little dog or you are going to get hit". He disappeared and I parked and went to my front door. When I opened the door, there he was right behind me. I let him in and he stood there and looked at me. I thought he might be hungry so gave him some leftovers from the refrigerator. He inhaled them and went over to the corner of the room and curled up and went to sleep. A little while later he woke up and went to the door and was ready to leave. I let him out and said "good by little guy". About thirty minutes later there was this loud racket at the front door. He was back! It was seventeen plus years later that I said my tearful goodbye to him and that was almost twenty seven years ago -- I don't think about it often now but went I do, I still get all choked up just like I did then -- like right now. I know how you feel.

Jim Bright

Reply to
jhbright

My condolences to you. I lost my cat about six months after I lost my father. I rather think they're both sitting relaxing on a back porch somewhere like they used to do here. I have no good idea how old she was as I got her after others tossed her out. She was quite a little crabapple when I got her but she responded well to the extra love and attention and even warmed up to my mother before she passed. (She was never big on human females.) I still miss her but there is another feline here now (Mom's cat) and he and I are getting along.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There is no truer friend than a dog. To borrow a wonderful prayer: Lord help me to become the kind of person my dog seems to think I am. My sympathy

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Not that I don't feel your pain, but I pray that each of my beloved animals may go as peacefully. We are down to two bassets; one of whom is now 13. Her mother died at twelve; her overtly obese sister at nine. I make sure every day to pamper her and I hope I do not have to see her suffer as her other family members did. Either way, I will be there for her.

-- C.R. Krieger

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I know how you feel, i value the trust and love from my dog more than any human i know, the last dog i had to have put down, a German ALsation a few years ago, i almost grabbed the needle from the vet and stuck it in me....

My old dog now is 10, my best mate, he knows me better than i know myself.

Know how you feel, hurts like hell, feel for you

Reply to
Jules

That's hard to deal with. Pets love you unconditionally (that is as long as I feed her and let her sit on my lap and purr her cat brains out) and I still miss a couple of cats and dogs I've had a lot more that a lot of relatives. My Manx is going to be 12 this summer and she is starting to slow up a little. I've had Olga longer than I've had my wife, come to think of it. She's a pretty good cat and one of the true joys of my life.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

manxs' are very good cats. the males can be real macho though. my neighbor's killed a dog that tryed to mess with it. ripped the guts right out.

e wrote: my neighbor's killed a dog that tryed to mess with

I hate gutless dogs !

noddy

Reply to
noddy

they haven't been around lately.

" WmB" wrote in news:kb8Pf.823$k75.516 @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Last year my cat died after 21 years. I was 35 then so I had the little critter for more then halve my life. I must admit thet the following times were not easy!!

He escaped once from the basket, when a photographer friend needed a cat for a foto shoot. and he dissapeared. about 15 months later I got a phone call that they found my cat. I responded: "but I havent lost my cat" (he was away for so long, i kinda gave up on him!) turned out he still had his flea collar and name tag around his neck.

I went to collect him, he was totally wild. Took about half an hour back in the house and he was purring on his favorite spot on the chair, stinkin like a garbage dump. He was home again!.

Yes. fond memories of him!

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis