OT Rose Bowl Fly Over

My wife just called me in to see the fly over for the Rose Bowl game. I had just come from the kitchen where I was chopping some onions so my old Mark 1 identfier (eyeball) may not have been the best. But the announcer said the planes were a F-117, a B-2 and a F-22 Raptor. Now the questions is in the quick time of the close up did I miss the Raptor, because it looked like a F-15 to me. Thanks

Mike

Reply to
MRB

No, it was most definitely an F-22. (Also, before the Rose Bowl the same three planes flew over the Rose Parade twice.)

Which leads me to wonder: does this mean that the F-22 is finally operational? Will we see squadrons start to form in '04? I mean, it's been what, about 12 years since it was selected over the YF-23?

- Sean

Reply to
SeanFallesen

F-22? Operational? (insert loud snort of derision) I'll bet long odds that that airplane had ED on the tail - an AFFTC test aircraft. IIRC, the first operational F-22 unit should be standing up at Langley AFB sometime in 2004. Maybe. If they can get the software to work right.

V/R: Mike McDaniel

Reply to
HMS Lion

Reply to
Tom Cervo

That'll be pretty hard for them to do since the RAF had Eurofighter remove the gun :(

Reply to
Jeff C

I was watching the Rose Bowl fly over and the annoucers definitly said they were from Langely. If thats true then they may have been at Edwards for the day.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

Or the announcers were wrong....:) Personally, I can't remember what they said. I was busy watching the planes.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Reply to
jerry 47

They'll call it a PBY if that's the feed they get . .

Reply to
Tom Cervo

SO true. I do remember they said Langly. Thats in Va right? Was thinking that was a long way to go for a flyover OTOT? Not a flyer so I might have that wrong. On time on target?.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

I think it depends on the network you were watching. I was watching the HD broadcast, no commercials, and they seemed to have a lot of information on all the floats, flowers used, bands and the aircraft in the flyovers. Jack

Reply to
Jbm007

Actually, it may have been one of the OT&E birds. (With OT Tailcodes). They seem to travel to Edwards alot.

Oh, BTW, the -117 had an ED on the tail-an AFFTC test aircraft.

Kevin F-117A: The Black Jet

F-117A Webmaster

Don't recall specific timelines but the first F-22's are obviously Edwards with the second group (note I did not say squadron) at Nellis (already delivered the first few, first arriving January '03) to work up tactics and instructors to teach the first wing at Langley. The first squadron is the 43rd Fighter Squadron assigned to Tyndall AFB, Florida where they will likely work up the new weapons and weapons tests. The 43rd has stood up but not yet IOC (Initial Operational Capability) Edwards tests airframes, Tyndall tests weapons, Nellis tests tactics and Wright Patterson tests hardware and software.

Pat

The price of peace is eternal vigilance.

Reply to
Predc130