OT: What happened to Fokker during WWII?

They made planes during WWI but little if any mention of them during WWII, but came back after the war.

What happened?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

John DeBoo

"Dem fokkers started flying Messerschmitts." ;~)

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Ask the Finns if they remember Fokker in WWII.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Mad-Modeller) wrote in :

Those (mainly D-21s, IIRC) were supplied before .nl was overrun.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Fokker was a Dutch company - and made quite a few aircraft in the 30's etc. until Holland was occupied.

Their Fokker D-21 was used by the Finns IIRc ???

A quick Google found this :-

There was a Fokker twin-engined seaplane that escaped to the UK - and was pressed into service with the RAF ............?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

I love that punch line! For those three or four people who don't get=20 the reference. Here's one version of the set up:

A World War II pilot is reminiscing before school children about his=20 days in the air force.

=93In 1942,=94 he says, =93the situation was really tough. The Germans had = a=20 very strong air force. I remember, =94 he continues, =93one day I was=20 protecting the bombers and suddenly, out of the clouds, these fokkers=20 appeared.

(At this point, several of the children giggle.)

=93I looked up, and right above me was one of them. I aimed at him and=20 shot him down. They were swarming. I immediately realized that there was=20 another fokker behind me.=94

At this instant the girls in the auditorium start to giggle and boys=20 start to laugh. The teacher stands up and says, =93I think I should point= =20 out that =91Fokker=92 was the name of the German-Dutch aircraft company.=94

=93That=92s true,=94 says the pilot, =93but these fokkers were flying=20 Messerschmitts.=94

--=20 Kaliste Saloom IPMS/USA #30703 Lafayette, LA

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

The T.V, I think.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

A number of years ago a British comedian called Stan Boardman caused a lot of controversy by telling that joke on live prime-time TV...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Mad-Modeller wrote in news:43A25EF7.6541E6E4 @nextline.com:

And please do not forget about the Fokker G1!

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

Most of them where made in Finland in license.

Reply to
newszilla.xs4all.nl

Have a look here.

have more links to Fokker DXXI sites.

Mobydick

Reply to
D. Huijsman

That's where it works best. The audience then gets to see super-calm Des o'Conner sweating like crazy as the old ladies in the audience in their floral hats shift about and get embarrased. We need more tv like that!

Too few time like those to mention but Norman Wisdom as a guest on GMTV which went out live, going around clearing up the coffee table of all its junk in front of the tv anchor people saying "well, I've got to earn my living somehow!"

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Since your question wasn't really answered, here's some information. Fokker built some German aircraft during the war, and did maintenance/overhauls. I remember seeing photos of Ju 52's in their factory. According to Wikipedia they also built Ju 52 components, and complete Bücker Bestmann trainers.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Further to that, during WW1 Fokker were a German company (or at least based in Germany). After the end of WW1, Tony Fokker moved the whole company lock stock and barrel back to his native Netherlands, so they then became a Dutch company.

Remove nospam to reply!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

I believe TF went to Germany early on because of the larger possible market there. He went back to the Netherlands to avoid the Allies seizing his equipment and product.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yup. By the end of WW 1, he prepared by hiding machinery and parts (and lots of it - they ended up transporting whole trainloads to the Netherlands). He fled Germany after being given house arrest (presumably in preparation for a trial), and his factory was nationalized. The 'Schweriner Industrie Werke' was supposed to be building boats, but the Fokker F.2 airliner was also developed there. On his first flight, pilot Bernard de Waal didn't make the test flight he was supposed to, but flew straight to Fokker's new factory in the Netherlands.

Reply to
Harro de Jong