P51 Exaust Shrouds

Is there a reason why some Merlin-powered P-51s have shrouded exaust stacks and others have unshrouded exaust stacks? I have seen photos showing both and I am trying to figure out why. Was there a belief that one arrangement offered better performance or engine reliability than the other?

Reply to
Mike

ks and others have unshrouded exaust stacks? I have seen photos showing bot h and I am trying to figure out why. Was there a belief that one arrangemen t offered better performance or engine reliability than the other?

An answer from someone with more knowledge than me.

RobG