Panther ausf D or A

I'm interrested on building a plastic model of a panther exploded by its own crew; I bought a conversion kit to do this and i'm interrested on do the ausf A early type exploded. I thought that a good choice would be to have a Panther of the "grossdeutschland" division on the eastern front semi-covered by snow. I know that the D version had a lot of failures at the first days of the new panther and there a lot of example of self destroyed tanks, but i would preffer to do the A early type, that rare version of a D hull (slap for the machine gun) and the A cast cupola (also know in some books as late D type). I would like to know if the grossdeutschland division had also early A tanks on their files on the eastern front and i would like also if some one has a picture of one of them or just some examples of wrecked panthers (by enemy fire, or exploded by its own crew...). Actually i'm planning the construction of this kit, but i don't know when i'll be able to do it...at this moment i'm working on a sdkfz 251/9 ausf D after battle if someone one is interrested. Thanks for all your help, any help will be greateful. If some one want to contact me, please do it trough the following email adress snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

thanks

Reply to
panzerfaust

Grossdeutschland was the army's premiere division, and had Panthers throughout the type's operational life. It is reasonable that it would have received the early A variant (Thomas Jentz's research has documented that the ball mount for the hull machine gun was introduced well after the Ausf A entered production, so these tanks are early A models, not late D's). While the problems with overheating and fuel leaks were eventually ironed out, the Panther's Achilles heel was the final drive gearbox, which was as fragile as glass. This one system failed on average every 150 km (87 miles), and despite attempts to strengthen it in 1944, it remained the cause of most vehicle failures, so you don't have to build a D model to show one that had to be blown up to prevent its capture. As for photos, the US Signal Corps took lots of photos of Panthers in "distressed" condition. Most WW2 histories published in the 20 years after the war relied on official US photos, so just check out the books in the local library. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Lafimprov