Poor math skills are OK?

or as they say in wanker county, ninehunnertandeleven.

Reply to
someone

And I am stoopid. i should've written " 'their' part number' "! :)

Reply to
frank may

That's OK Frank, we knew what you meant. If we started whacking people for getting there/their confused there wouldn't be many of us left.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Most of the airliner jocks & pro pilots call the Boeings "seven-sixes", "seven-fives", "seven-fours", "seven-threes", "seven-twos" & "seven-ohs". I think most refer to the 777 as the "triple seven" tho, as opposed to a "seven-seven".

Reply to
frank may

In the Army, vehicles nomenclatures are usually pronounced as single digits. For example, you can tell a person has not spent time around tracked vehicles if they refer to an M113 as an "M-One-Thirteen". People familiar with it call it the One-One-Three.

But double digit nomenclatures are normally referred to as a single number. The M88 is called an "M-Eighty-Eight" and the M60 was called "M-Sixty" as opposed to "M-Eight-Eight" or M-Six-Oh or zero.

Hence a regular M998 HMMWV is called a Nine-Nine-Eight and a regular M977 HEMTT is a Nine-Seven-Seven. But if the HMMWV is a four-digit variant like an M1025 it is called M-Ten-Twenty-five. Try figuring that one out.

But being the strange folks that we are, the 5 tons were called Nine-Thirty-six or Nine-Twenty-three instead of Nine-Three-Six or Nine-Two-Three.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Anything that saves my Valuble modeling time on a large project is worth it. I only use the Calculator when I have a massive ammount of dimensons to convert. Otherwise I use a little "cheat sheet" I created in 8th Grade. (when I had alot of free time in School)

Reply to
Matthew Leese

Well, I see my asking about the conversion program caused a lot of hoopla on here. Kurt, does it say anywhere in my post I couldn't do math problems?....ah no...don't think it did. I do math...and have every day in my job...which is a mechanical draftsman. On top of that I just completed an Associates Degree in Business Management. One of the requirements being 3 semesters of math, Business Math, College Algebra, and Calculus. Now as a draftsman and in business there is a thing called "Time is Money" heard of it? I'm sure you have. The company makes more money if you spend less time doing drawings. So you save time where you can, hence I'll grab any program that saves time. Less time on the drawings also translates into less overhead on that particular job. Also, in my AutoCad, I have included many lisp routines that do many things at once, also a time saver. A begining Cad operator would have serious problems with my version, also he would spend way too much time doing mundane things.

I also do not enjoy many hours to put into modeling, so saving time where I can helps.

Now I will agree with some of what I've read here, there is way too many that get passed through school without being able to do math, but not math alone, I was surprised at the number in college that simply could not read! This is not the teachers fault alone, it is the fault of parents. When I was in school things were different, you were not passed along if you couldn't do the work, you were held back. You can't do that now, too many will get their feathers ruffled if you did. And schools lose funding.......too much concern for the "almighty dollar!" Who suffers? The kids really do, but we all do in the long run.

I raised three kids and all of them can do math, read well and write pretty good too. I made sure of that. They did their homework, they didn't get to play till they did, they hated me when they were young, but you know my youngest girl paid me a compliment the other day, she came to me and said that she didn't understand my ways when she was younger, but she is glad now that I was the tyrant that I was. She's just finishing up her last semester in the Regestered Nursing Program.

calculations

Reply to
Mike G.

I'll admit to having a bias here, I teach 4th grade. Math facts, long division, multiplication facts, basic fractions/percents/decimals and more importantly 'math sense'. The 'does that answer make sense to you' sort of thinking. Also there are 40 more messages here I have not read yet, so I may be back w more

I had a good elementary/middle school school education, a good HS, a good college education,and I have an associated degree in Math.

But, like the person I am quoting above, I really LEARNED my addition facts when I delivered pizza to pay for school.

Standing ankle deep in the snow at 2am to make change motivated one to get really good at addition/subtraction really quickly.

Since then I have had little need to do much math more complicated than finding grade percentages (I use a calculator for speed), and have done no math in my life outside of work more complicated than cross multiplying. I learned Algebra, Trig, Geo, and even flailed at a semester or two of calc, and I find myself doing basic computation and intro algebra as my most common math situations. But what I do use every single day is the ability to look at a math situation and decide if the answer I get is reasonable. If I add a column of 2-digit numbers, and get a 5 digit answer, I KNOW it's wrong and recheck.

Hopefully, my students will carry that ability with them no matter what math they need to do in their lives. Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC