[Pure Scale Modeling] Questions for a US Presidential Candidate

I'm betting he tells you that you should have saved any bits that could even vaguely be useful......or used it as a room temp. storgae shelves......;)

Reply to
Ron

Almost forgot, one other "white thing" is sugar, definate no-no. We switched to Splenda artificial sweetener when we use sugar at all.

The Old Timer
*snippage*

1934?! Wow! That sucker probably amortized itself sometime back in the '60s! A fridge today usually doesn't last more than 10-15 years due to planned obsolescence.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

My GE fridge has been humming along since July of '86. Of course, now that I've outed it.....

And talk about thread drift!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I would have tried to get it fixed if at all possible,doubtful considering its age tho I remember as a youngster my grandmother having an old fridge with the compressor on top.No idea of its age or brand tho.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Yeah, imagine the small parts that might have been useful for detailling projects. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes, Splenda works well for me as long as I use a little lemon. Even though it's chlorinted sugar it still has an aftertaste. The lemon usually neutralises that. I have a store here that sells whole wheat pasta in bulk. Sometimes I get a hankering for macaroni noodles.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

My guess is that 1934 fridge was eating about twelve to twenty times the energy of an equivalent new unit, especially if you add in the repair cost you'd save--you'll probably pay for the replacement with lower power bills in about a year.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I'm damn proud of you for keeping it running that long but you should have called the Hollywood prop department to see if they could use it in period pieces. 8^)

1934? Wow! It musta looked like Ralph & Alice's.

And I'm damn proud of the rest of you with all the post use suggestions. You also could have used the coolant as paint remover. Shoulda mopped it up with a paper towel and squeezed it into a bottle! 8^)

LOL

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Not really. We had a 1932 Tappen gas range about ten years ago (rescued from the trash) that was 100% functional and looked like it was almost new. I used it for making beef jerky. When we decided to finally get new, after using it as our primary stove for about five years (the much newer Sears Kenmore died and wasn't worth fixing) I tried GIVING it away to friends that had hunting camps, a couple of newlyweds, etc. When the deliverymen delivered our new Magic Chef (since dead and gone), they got into a fistfight over who would keep the antique.

No, Ralph's was from the late 20's. This one had the condensor underneath the storage compartment, not above. Same size freezer though, just big enough for a gallon of ice cream.

Hadn't though of that! But after I got done hauling that thing up eleven stairs and down two into the garage, I wasn't thinking of much of anything! I did keep the big racks for use in drying jerky and the two little ones for some Linka Plaster work that I do on the side.

The Old Timer

Like I always say, good old crap is worth fighting over!

I hope you had an appliance dolly. Good backs are hard to come by. The fridge I had in the seventies had that small freezer too. Damn infuriating for an ice-cream-aholic like myself. Them racks should come in handy. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Not the point I was making.I meant to save a real classic.For the lefties that could be counted as recycling I guess.And then too save the environment from the need to produce all the plastic parts for a new one every 4 or 5 years when the "improved" modern imports burn up.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

but you'll never replace the coolness factor of it's looks. i collect 50's appliances for the cool looks. i'd love to collect art deco but 800 bucks for a toaster is insane.

Reply to
someone

We have a fridge that Carol and I bought when we were first married (yes, it's electric) It's at least 30 years old, and works fine. The brand name got knocked off years ago, so I don't know who made it. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

They wish- They had an icebox, not an electric refrigerator. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Just having spent a Sunday afternoon going through the family photo albums, I saw many old appliance friends no longer with us. I think the old fridge from when I was 4 showed in one shot of Mom's kitchen. It's probably as old as John's was. I still have Dad's Hi-fi credenza but don't play it much. Mostly it serves as a counter on which the component stereo sits, itself a '70s model. At least I can read the controls on them both!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've got eight of the furry little critters. And three dogs. Sheesh......

Reply to
Al Superczynski

We figured two was the limit for a townhouse but neither one bothers my models or tools.

Reply to
Ron

Oddly enough none of my cats seem to have the slightest bit of curiosity about my modeling bench and tools. Good kitties!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

My daughter had a large black cat for several years until it died a year or so ago; (honest;I had nothing to do with that!). Several years ago, when the Tamiya F-84 first came out, I was working on one for a review and had it about finished except for the decaling. I left it on the workbench overnight to let the paint dry and, during the night, the cat decided to get on the workbench.

From there, it got up on the shelf above the workbench where I kept an old peanut butter jar that was about half-filled with laquer thinner for brush cleaning. Apparently, the cat began rubbing against the jar and knocked it off the shelf onto the bench where it broke on the model. I found it the next morning after the F-84 had been marinating in laquer thinner all night. It was not a pretty sight!

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier