Re: Cutting Circles in Bare Metal Foil

I imagine a compass with a pen knife blade instead of the pencil portion might work...never tried it, so I'm not sure...

Best of luck!

-Cory

Anyone have a decent method of cutting clean circles out of Bare Metal Foil? > > I wanted to foil the discs of the Tamiya Ferrari Mythos I am building > and was very > dissatisfied with my results. > > TIA for any tips > > Jon Statsinger >
Reply to
Cory Miller

Jon, The tube method is great for small diameter discs, but for half centimetre or larger, the best tool is a 'compass cutter'. This is a tool with an arm projecting from the centre spindle, along which a blade attachment can be slid. This is set to the correct distance to form the circumference cut edge. Here in the UK a brand called Olfa is commonly found in model shops and also ( I was surprised too....) dressmakers' shops. One tip I can offer to avoid a pinhole in the centre of the disc, is to use paper glue to attach a base of 40 thou card to mount the centre spindle needle into. You won't need to apply much pressure to cut foil with a new blade, and the pin won't penetrate the plastic to mark the centre. Good luck, Chek

Reply to
Chek

Would expect you'd need a knife with a swiveling blade - X-Acto makes one - and a circle template.

Reply to
Rufus

Yes - got one of these; a drop-point bow compass, with a blade attachment for the drop.

Reply to
Rufus

I have never had to cut a circle in foil yet, but I do use a Olfa knife for all my foil cutting. I don't know the model number but its the one with the balanced yellow tubular handle and rubber grip. The blades are the best for foil cutting, I've ever used and hold their edge much longer than an X-Acto. Believe me, when they are new, they are so sharp, they are absolutely dangerous! Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown