Re: Etched parts

Mark Warr> > Sorry to ask a silly question but what's the benefit of etched parts? I've

> > seen a lot of instrument panels, etc. etched but don't know what the > > advantage is over those supplied with the kit. > > > > I'm also interested to know how to paint them if anyone has any suggestions? > > > > Cheers, Mark. > > > > > > For instrument panels, the big advantage is the film for the instrument > faces - pre-printed and crisp; all you have to do is paint the back of > it white (or back it with white plastic stock - my preferred method) and > the faces are done. Paint the brass panel in the usual manner (spray > the main color and pick out hte details with a fine artists brush) and > make the sandwich and you've got a most convincing panel. > > Otherwise, using etched parts allows for a great and more delicate level > of detail for items like control linkages and levers, or parts that > should be thinner than molded in plastic. The best and easiest to see > example I can think of are the seats in the Eduard sets for WWII > subjects - really looks more like the constucted metal seats found in > most WWII aircraft.

That's all true, but there are a few kits out there that have such nice details that the PE parts are a superfluous expense. I'd suggest looking at a cockpit photo and asking yourself how close you can come to replicating it with what's in the kit, and how satisfied you'll be with that result. If it's going to look crummy or toylike, go for the PE. This is a strictly subjective standard, of course. I have less than a dozen such kits, not counting the stuff from Czech companies that already comes with PE and resin.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Freakin addictive isn't it :-)

Oxmoron1 MFE "I'll take the eye surgery Doc, can't see the etched brass parts anymore"

Reply to
OXMORON1

The trick is that sometimes they provide parts the original kit doesn't. Just as an example: I'm working on a 1/72 RA-5C from Hasegawa. The 'cockpit' consistes of a floor panel, and a pair of square lumps that need a lot of imagination to be interpreted as ejection seats. The Airwaves etch set at least provides cockpit tubs, and most of the ejection seats.

In general, if the original kit is of reasonable quality, I don't bother, but when faced with large deficiencies, etch or resin bits are useful.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel