Re: How to Modify Email Addresses for NG Posting??

seems that our posting is ripe material for spammers to scrape our email

> addresses from our posts. > > I've seen some add some language to their address or add another like > hotmail so their real address is masked and/or made unusable for > spammers.. > > how do you modify your address for NG posting? > > I use Netscape Communicator 4.5 (yes I know its old) > > > Pretty sure that my posting on NG's has resulted in my email address > being taken and me receiving the 100's and 100's of Microsoft spam..... > I went to preferences but was not sure if any changes would effect > regular email as well..... and I don't wanna do that. > > > help! > > > Craig >

I recently adopted spamblocks to my e-mail addresses posted on Usenet. The snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net that I generally use has been safe from the deluge, but I forgot to change an old address that I still occasionally use in one newsgroup. That one is averaging about 150-200 of the phoney Microsoft virus messages each day. I finally got around to suspending the account tonight and blocking all messages. In my case it definitely is coming as a result of newsgroup postings. That is the only thing I use the currently targetted address for.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the ISP servers aren't aggressively filtering these things in mass before they even get out to us. They sure as hell got in the way of an audio codec that I kept trying to send my niece over the weekend.

WmB To reply, get the HECK out of there snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
WmB

If using Outlook Express, simply change your e-mail address in the 'Properties' for your newsserver account setting. 'Tool' menu, 'Options...' menu item

What ever you put here will appear as you email address. The only con of doing this is if you send someone an e-mail, they're have to edit out the garbage in the email address in order to send back a reply.

BTW, don't use things like 'AT' instead of '@' or 'DOT' instead of '.', spammers will have simple programs that will find and replace obvious substitutions such as this in email addresses.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hartlen

Yes, change it in preferences in Netscape. Change both "e-mail" and "reply-to" addresses. It affects regular e-mail. What I do is I change it before starting a NG reading session and change it back when I'm done. When I forget to change it back people's repliss get bounced back because the addy is wrong .... just train yourself to remember and it works fine.

Cheers!!!

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

OTOH, if you use them *in addition*, it not only thwarts the simplest 'search & replace', but it also convinces your fussier programs that it *is* a legitimate email address because it contains '@' and '.'.

-- C.R. Krieger (One o' those moods again)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger