Re: Last Steam Locomotives

> >Photos: >
>"A steam locomotive, which is one of China's last batch of out-of-date >locomotives, is passing a bridge in Inner Mongolia December 7. The >batch of out-of-date locomotives will be out of service by the end of >this year. The Jining-Tongliao railway in Inner Mongolia is the only >railway in the world using steam locomotives. Since the railway was >built in 1995, more than 100 steam locomotives have run along the >railroad."

Last railway in the world using steam locomotives?

According to

there are about a dozen operational steam locomotives in Texas alone. I know there are others in Colorado, Vermont, etc.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

"John Mianowski" wrote

Those are probably tourist/excursion railroads; the Chinese ones are actual common carriers.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

You mean 'communist' carriers !

LOL

wipe 'myass' to reply

Reply to
hayesclippermyass

The Strasburg RR occasionally use their steam on freights. I think they may have bought one of those Chinsk locos since that was the last place in the world they were manufactured. This points out that now the Chinese will be using diesels almost exclusively. That'll only help to push up oil prices for everyone.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well, they keep running out of coal miners.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Doesn't some parts of India still use steam for normal routes?

Reply to
The Raven

"Mad-Modeller" wrote

Steam does not equal coal (i.e., they may have been using oil exclusively for years), but admittedly that's probably the case in China. Most large ships use steam propulsion but oil for fuel. There were a number of American steam locos that used oil.

There is relief on the way though. Once avian flu becomes pandemic the Chinese economy will cool down (as it did during the SARS outbreak) and their demand for energy and raw materials will drop for quite awhile.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

There are two in midwest, I think CN or CP (old Soo Line) runs one yearly in excursions and another, I think it is 2783, that is owned by a collector group and runs on BN trackage occasionally.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

The pictures linked too in the earlier (original?) post showed the tender be loaded with coal. Not a majority of the coal mined was used for this ofcourse, and will make no real dent in the use.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You're lucky! We have a local excussion railroad, the Arcade & Attica, with some 14 miles of track. They used to have a steam locomotive, but the People's State of New York forced the to go over to diesel as "anti-pollution". They still have the steam locomotive, but it is one hell of a big paperweight!

Reply to
Old Timer

"Old Timer" wrote in news:1134316542.041709.45880 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

My family is from New York, we used to property in the Catskill area, near Hunter Mountain Ski Resort. The area has been declared part of NYC watershed whcih has pretty much killed farming and any shot at other types of manufacturing etc.

Of course now all the vermin who have f**ked up the city what to buy or rent vaction property and tell the locals how to do things since they clearly area't smart enough. What a bunch of crap.

Last time I was up there about 5 years ago. I'm 45 years old and as long as I have consciuous memories the place hasn't changed a bit. The roads in all look the same, after of course leaving the larger populated areas. Kingston has no problem building. I don't mean that neccessarily in a good way either. Literally from outside Kingston on 28 to Phonecia and north on 214, the storefronts are virtually the same, no new construction along the roads. Doesn't mean there isn't new construction, the carpet baggers from the city like to move up into the "undeveloped areas" and build thier own little home away from home.

Our property was from my great-grandfather who owned a sawmill (which burned down and portions of the stone foundation and sluiceway were still visible) and apple orchards. The family name goes back a long way. But the people I saw as a kid were dirt poor and not a thing has changed as the state is so busy telling them what not to do.

It makes me want to cry, the area was so beautiful but we've washed our hands of them. Between the taxes and the state telling us what we could and could not do with our property it's just not worth it. Leave to to the lemmings who need a benevolent dictator to tell them what they want.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost