Re: V-22 Osprey

I'm curious, what is the current status of this baby?

IIRC the FY 2004 defense budget authorizes procurement of 11 more aircraft.

I am also curious, with all the >changes in the aircraft industry and the crashes, who is the company >responsible for this design now?

Boeing.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Add to that status question the Comanche helicopter. It was quite prominent in the Hulk movie.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I was just out at MCAS Yuma teaching at MAWTS 1 and the V-22 was there. Seems to be driving on with the training for the bird. They let me walk around in it but nobody but crew was flying in it. Hugh Mills

Reply to
HMills16

Hi Hugh. Good to hear form you. I got a short flight in one a couple years ago (about fall of 1999, if I remember). I no longer remember the occassion but they had a large display of "toys" at the Pentagon and the CV-22 was there on the lawn at the Ricer Entrance. They flew Gen Jones (CMC) on a short hop across the Potomac, over the mall, and back to the River Entrance lower lawn and I got to go along. I'm sure it's a fine bird and all, but, being used to but it felt more like being "on the razor's edge" than flying in a helo to me.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

For how long have they been trying to make this thing stay up?

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Military Foreplay

Reply to
Craig

Don't know for sure. I saw a prototype in the mid 80s and one went into the Potomac (or was it the Rappahhock?) river back in the late 80s or so. I'd guess it's been around since the very late 70s or early 80s at least. "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

this is one of those times when even the pentagon's throw money at it until it works theories is going to fail. it will never achieve production status nor be what it was supposed to be. my crystal ball says that the marines will declare it perfect the same day the declare the mission profile has changed and it is redundant. for a lot less money they could have developed alternative stol's with better capacity's.

First flight of AC 1 (buno 163911) was March 89. AC 5 (buno 163915) flipped over in June 91 on its first flight, AC 4 (buno 163914) went in

20 July 92 killing all on board. Any tiltrotor flying before March 89 would have been the XV-15. That one was flying since, IIRC, the mid-70s. And AC 4 went into the Potomac off Quantico. 2 former coworkers were on board and the debris was brought to Pax and laid out on the hangar deck at TPS.

Joe

Bill Woodier wrote:

Reply to
Joe Hegedus