Revell Lightning

and share it.

Reply to
someone

What I noticed was that the parts looked very similar but their positions on the sprues was very different. The parts were similar enough to be easily assembled together. Yeah, I 'kitmingled' two of them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

was it revell or monogram that did the 1/48 p38 that was truly godawful bad? i remember starting a second tube of filler and then it ran into super heavy flak over by the window and took 4 88mm shells down the center of the fuselage which cause the ac to disintegrate. by sheer bad luck, a string of 128mm shells"stitched" it in a spotlight convergence. i think the biggest surviving piece was one rudder blade. the rest was razor blades and thevpilot was some red blotches on the bigger pieces. when it hit the ground, it hit the mine field protecting the factory setting of a chain mine explosion. not even the vacum could find much. i really hated that kit!

Reply to
someone

IMC's MiG was the same oversize as Hasegawa's. IIRC, it came in around

1/70th. The IMC F-100 was a copy of the old 1/69th Revell 'C' and the RF-4 was a copy of the Revell kit with a recon nose added. Somewhere in my info archives I have an Al S post about the Skyraider's origins. I really should organise all that info.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The IMC MiG-21 was the later version with the larger nose intake (MiG-21PF), while the Hasegawa one had the smaller intake like the Airfix one (MiG-21F). I assume the Frog one was also a F. That RG kit was the first decent 1/72 scale model of the early version.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

i had several accidental suicides in my build pile. and it took a lot for me to abandon a kit. far more than today because kits represented many hours of work at the davis snack bar. i washed dishes and flipped burgers for vietnam era draftees going through basic. we called them doggies and they were a pain in the ass. but thier eating portion control frozen GARBAGE kept my motorcycles running and kits a building. i can't remeber the maker, not revell, mono, airfix or other biggie, but there was a 72nd b17g that was a steaming pile. it was my duty to change the fryolater lard once a week. should have been everyday because we cooked chicken, fish, fries, everything in that very poor lard. the night of a change, the 90% complete 17 lost all 4 engines and hit the 400 degree fat. the fat almost bubbled over but didn't and the plane was GONE! not a scrap to be found. the smell was almost beyond description. think od retching maggots....

Reply to
someone

Thoroughly, obviously. ;)

I can't say as I never built a 1/48th P-38. I did build Airfix's really old -J and their P-38F. I built Hasgawa's P-38J and had at one time Revell's -J,L,M and the F-5E kits as well as the Matchbox -J kit.

I can honestly say that only Revell's original Willys coupe ever met with intentional destruction whilst in progress. There was a DML XF-22 which 'accidentally' took a bite of the concrete downstairs. Some parts were salvaged although I have no idea what they will be used for - sheet plastic, perhaps.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I had the Monogram one and didn't have any problem building it; the Revell 1/32nd scale one was a royal pain in the arse to build though. That was in the period when Revell was bringing out 1/32 scale kits as fast as they could, and they all had problems of one sort or another.

I'll always remember the MPC 1/72 scale one because it was the first one I used Testors liquid cement on, and I got sick to my stomach from the fumes.

I was just finishing up my Monogram 1/72 scale B-36 when I found that Testor's thinner will remove paint from the canopy, but Testor's brush cleaner will eat the plastic. The model ended up being melted down in a coffee can till it was a circular block of plastic. My big Heller model of the Victory ended up coming under heavy French fire in the form of rocks after I managed to superglue my hand down to the hull while rigging it. A botched Monogram LM was sent flying to the antipodes under a weather balloon* (If you are going to secure gold foil covering to a spacecraft, use gel-type superglue, as the regular type runs all over the place.) The only model that ever completely frustrated me to the point of getting tossed across the room despite its simplicity was the Roden PKZ-2 helicopter:

super glue this might be pretty easy to do, but with styrene cement it was impossible. :-(

  • The advantages of working as a FAA weather observer.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

nope, had sprus next to each other to compare, like Bills says

Reply to
Jules

The RoG MiG-21F *is* a new mould. It is a very fine kit indeed!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

not new, couple of years old, built it, fantastic kit, apart from the drop tank, and the front wheel/tyre...

Reply to
Jules

Well, yeh... that's when I built mine. I picked it up from Hannants the day after the received their stock!

What are the problems with those?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i never used the drop tank, but some mag said it was the wrong shape and terrible fit

the front tyre wheel, the daft lines moulded on, but worst of all, depth of tyre/wheel is totally wrong..i should know, got stacks of fotos of the real thing that i touched...even in small scale it stands out like a sore thumb

Reply to
Jules

Interesting. Testors liquid glue always has made me sick to my stomach. I really miss Pactra's.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller