Revival and Protar automobile kits?

Can anybody give me any information on the old Revival and Protar classic auto kits? Thanks, jim

Reply to
jimbol51

I'm not sure what kind of info you want. I have 6 Revival kits still new in the box and 4 of the Protar kits. I don't either are in production at this time and I haven't heard that anyone bought the tooling to produce more. You can find them occasionally on ebay but they are scarce. They are a little difficult and not for the beginner but they can easily build up to museum quality with a little work.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I am getting into the Pocher kits of which I have 4 at present. I realize that the Revival are smaller but was wondering how they compare as to detail vs a Pocher? Obviously the Pochers are more expensive and larger of course. The only Protar that I just saw on ebay just went for quite a bit of money around $1200 or so. I'm referring to the classic autos such as the Alfas relative to Pocher, Revival, and Protar. Revivals are still being produced albeit the seller wants more for them vs what you can find them on ebay for. jim

Reply to
jimbol51

The Revival's are 1/20 in scale. The instruction sheets are less than the best but the kits are nicely detailed. The wire wheels are the best I've ever seen. Many of the chassis and engine parts are diecast "white metal". The bodies are metal that are nicely painted. I've only built one of the Ferrari's. The chassis was a challange but with time and some minor tinkering, you get a very nice finished product. The Protar stuff is all over the board. The ones I have are the 1/12 open wheel cars. I don't have any of the bikes that seem to be readily available or any of the 1/24 or 1/18 stuff so I couldn't comment on them. There are many more plastic parts on the Protar's and, because of the larger scale, they have many detail parts. I have not built one of the Protar's.......they are just way too valuable in the "unbuilt" state, unfortunatly. The Protar engine kits are outstanding if you're into that sort of thing (I admit to being hooked on engine kits), They are a work of art, in my opinion.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Yeah the Protar that just went on ebay was a 1:12 Mephis something or other. It went for over $1200. Must be some kit I guess. I just won a Revival Alfa P3 on ebay. Really curious to see how it turns out. Next up will be the Pocher Fiat F2. jim

Reply to
jimbol51

I think the $1200.00 ebay sale reflects the fact that those kits are extremely scarce more than a reflection of quality. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice but $1200.00 nice,,,,, I don't know. I am buying some of the larger scale open wheel Tamiya kits. Over time, I believe they will increase greatly in value and, as a bonus, you can actually build one of these great kits, right now, without feeling "guilty" (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Which Tamiya kits are you referring to? I love the 'classics' ie the old Alfas,etc.. Are there any like those in Tamiya's range by chance? jim

Reply to
jimbol51