Screw-ups on television

"railfan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I've been in a B-17, a T-6 and a PT-17. The &-6 had an intercom with a helmet. It was the only one of the 3 where I could here anything aside from the engines. The B-17 was incredibly loud. Memphis Belle seems real funny after that ride.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Ha! The first season (on NBC) they advertised the show in TV Guide with an illustration of F-104s! It's not too often that TV Guide causes me to laugh hysterically.......

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

So, Bob, how's your hearing?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill:

Whazzat? Speak up, I can't hear you! :)

I actually do have a hearing problem, wear a hearing aid in one ear. When I started noticing the problem I first thought of a work related problem. The first several years in piston engined choppers (Bell

47-J, G), we passengers were not supplied with headsets or other ear protection. I remember often getting out of the chopper after a long ride and would be light headed and slightly woozey from the constant noise. Nothing like a flat six cylinder engine running at full speed a few feet behind your head!

Of course when whe changed to JetRangers they came with headsets so we could talk to each other. They were quieter than the piston engined ones anyway. But that's the way the gummint works I guess.

Of course my years as a trackside photographer at local drag races probably didn't help my hearing any either! But my hearing problem was actually an inherited one, my father wore hearing aids too.

As long as I can hear the wife call for supper, I'm OK!

Bob Boudreau

Reply to
railfan

The PT-17 should have been equipped with a "gosport" intercom, a piece of tubing that conducted sound. One had to have a helmet or something that hooked up to it, though. Sort of like the tubing headsets they used in airliners for the entertainment system

These non-electric intercoms worked surprisingly well.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don Stauffer wrote in news:3s2ge.4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Communuication in the PT-17 was a wood stick he poked me in the back with to get my attention so he could see if I was green from hanging upside down.

I am proud to say that even though I was experiencing pucker factor far in excess of anything before or since (I actually think the suction is what held me to the seat) I did not hurl.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes, that's one call you don't want to miss. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller