Scribing details

Glenn,

My thoughts on scribing (with some contributions by others) can be found at:

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Just wondering if anyone can give recommendations on what tools and techniques they use for scribing or re-scribing detail lines.

Having just started making models again, I'm interested in applying these techniques.

Glenn

Reply to
Careful Hack

One of the best tools I've found for scribing is just to clamp a draftman's compass point in a pin vice. You can get a straight conical compass point, or one of the two-ended kind that has a smaller one on one end. You can also choose a pin vise that fits your hand, which IMO is one of the critial issues with any "good" tool - it needs to feel comfortable to you.

Reply to
Rufus

Thanks for this Charles. Some great information here.

Glenn

Reply to
Careful Hack

in article GDVrb.166000$Fm2.144923@attbi_s04, Rufus at snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote on 11/10/03 5:59 PM:

I don't use a pin-vise. I use one of those cheap mechanical pencils that have a collet that grips the lead. The "point" is then retractable. Be careful when you jam it into your shirt pocket though.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Great idea! And so in-line with my thoughts about using what's comfortable in your hand. I may change my holder...

Reply to
Rufus

Yep....there is an AMAZING amount of things available from a drafting supply store, that have uses in modeling!

Colored pencils, lead holders, brushes, straight-edges, erasure shields, and dozens of others I forget at the moment.....

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Yes, soo true... I got hooked on RapidoGrpahs for doing panel lines :)

For scribing I use a Trimaster scriber tool. (circular cross section) that has it's own oil stone for sharpening. Taught me that keeping a SHARP point on the scriber means less errors when scribing. I use a set of Verlinden scribing templates, and tape to scribe the lines.

I also use a set of dental tools that were given to me. They still look scary, but I dont think the plastic minds as much as I do :0

Azzz1588