silvered dope

i seem to remember that the spirit of st louis is a silvered
colored dope. does anyone make that color?
Reply to
someone
SNJ aluminum, Floquil silver or various shades, Testor's chrome silver.........it's really just silver paint, pick a shde you like and use it.
snipped-for-privacy@some.doma> i seem to remember that the spirit of st louis is a silvered
Reply to
Ron Smith
I'd go with a aluminum that tends to the grey side, rather than too metallic, leave that for the engine turned cowling. ** mike **
Reply to
mike
it looked silver colored, not silver. like darker.
Reply to
someone
that sounds closer. maybe a small tint of black, too.
Reply to
someone
If this shows up twice, my apologies as my response last night isn't here. Anyway, any silver/aluminum shade should do, as all silver dope is is clear dope with aluminum powder mixed with it for protecting the fabric from the sun. It generally dries with a dull finish. Humidity also seriously effects its drying characteristics.
Reply to
frank
I concur. Silver doped fabric is not super shiny. So in addition to not as metallic, it should not be glossy. The surface should be at the border of semi-gloss to gloss. Some automotive silver greys work fine. If you are airbrushing you can control the amount of gloss fine, but from a rattle can it is harder.
However, engine turned aluminum oxides to a semi-matt pretty quickly, so I would argue that the turned cowl shouldn't be high gloss either. In fact, it should definitely be semi-matt.
Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
Aircraft mechanics are warned and taught about blushing (the whitening and roughness of dope painted in high humidity). So a professionally painted aircraft should not suffer from it (they don't paint on a humid day), though I have seen some blush areas on home painted aircraft. For SOSL, I'd say a semi-gloss would be appropriate.
Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
True enough, but it depends on the mechanic's location. Here in Miss., sometimes you can't wait weeks or maybe months for the humidity to get 'just right', so you make it the best you can.
Reply to
frank
thanks, guys.
Reply to
someone
That's why I named paints that look silver colored instead of Alclad that looks like metal.
snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>
Reply to
Ron Smith
Either one of our aluminum paints would be ideal...SnJ Spray Metal Aluminum (Enamel) or Talon Series Aluminum (Acrylic).
Hawkeye
Well, the SOSL was pretty much a plane fresh out of the Ryan factory, done April 28, and the flight May 20th. Aluminum goes quick, but not that quick, esp for a plane that was hangared for most of that time. I'd not weather this plane at all.
** mike **
Reply to
mike
not even after the 27,000 mile tour it took around the universe?
Reply to
someone
You know..........my wife has called me a "Silver Haired Dope" on more than one ocassion (:>
Reply to
Count DeMoney
and you're turning gray.
Reply to