Solvaset won't wet decals

Hi;
Just bought a bottle of solvaset. I applied it onto a freshly applied
and dried decal but the solvaset just beads and will not wet the
decal.
Any help?
Thanks!
Reply to
Crumb
What brand of decals?
If you're expecting it to "soak in," it doesn't appear to - but it will end up softening the decal, and allowing it (give it 24hr) to get into panel lines and such.
Reply to
EGMcCann
If the decal is already dry I believe it's a little late. You might try re-wetting the decal and then apply Solvaset. You could also brush on a little white vinegar, give it a while to soak in and then apply the Solvaset. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
If it's a Monogram decal forget it. They are impervious at best and can curl up at worst. They're the only brand I've run into like that. It's why I don't bother with them if I don't have to.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
in article snipped-for-privacy@somethin.com, Bill Banaszak at snipped-for-privacy@somethin.com wrote on 6/12/04 9:18 PM:
And it's a shame too. Some of the decals from the older kits?F-105, F-100, ?were well printed, in good register, and sharp as a tack! They just didn't respond to any of my setting solutions at the time. When I just had to use one, I used white glue to hold it down.
One thing I've noticed however is the red ejection seat triangles on my Thud have faded to a pale pink! Red is not a stable color in many cases.
MB
Reply to
Milton Bell
Now William! You are old enough to know very well that the first rule of building a Monogram kit is "Throw away the decals". :-)
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
you guys are harsh. i floated the do 335 declas in solvaset for a week and they snuggled right down.
Ok, here's the trick to Revellogram decals. For over a decade now they've been printing them on Decafix. This doesn't respond to set or sol but is designed to be pressure sensitive. Wet them, apply them, and then press them down with a hot damp cloth (tap water hot.) hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
Not so!! I just finished my 1:32 Grumman F3F-1 and its decals worked really nice with MicroSet and MicroSol. I was mostly worried about the fuselage stripe and the wing chevron but they set in very well with no major problems other than their size.
The Old Timer
...and then stand back and watch the carrier yellow. Especially if you apply them over a white surface.
I gave them one last chance on my PBY at the behest of Aeromaster on Monogram's behalf. Never again - straight into the trash they go.
Reply to
Rufus
Here's one for you. This afternoon, I ~tried~ to apply decals to the Aurora Orbital Space Fighter. These decals had no copyright data on the back and no matter how long I left it in th ewater, they wouldn't lift off the paper backing. After five minutes it all dissolved, and all the while they looked like somebody printed the original decals and put the print into the kit. Except for the tail markings, I was able to replace all of them easily.
The Old Timer
Yup - that's one I forgot. Particularly with Monogram decals. I always hav to use a stiff, flat artist's brush to scrub remnants of the paper from tha back of the decal once it comes "free of the paper". Then I get to watch them laugh at my Solvaset.
Then and only then did I get to later watch them yellow...
Reply to
Rufus
It's been a lot longer than a decade. I remember a column in a defunct aviation magazine where the reviewer had to resort to Elmer's to get his decals to stay on the brand new Monogram 1/72 Skyraider kit. I remembered that tip (and the author's name right up until I started writing this answer) and used it on the occasions it was needed. Like Bill Shuey said above, "Throw away the decals".
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
It wouldn't surpise me that some old kit collector would color copy the decals just to make it look like it had decals. Did you buy it at a swap meet or off line? Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
Is this a recent thing? I did the antique A-5A Vigilante about a year back, and the decals, though yellowed with age, responded well to micro set/sol. Fairly thick decals which took a lot of sol before they got the idea to be sure, but it did work as advertised.
Rob
Reply to
Rob van Riel
I couldn't put a date on it but I think they went to Decafix in the late eighties/early nineties. What's the vintage of your Monogram A-5A? tia,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
Beats me, but certainly not recent. Mine came in the light blue boxing, which I don't remember ever seeing in shops (the kit came from eBay). My guess would be early seventies.
Rob
Reply to
Rob van Riel
Beats me, but certainly not recent. Mine came in the light blue boxing, which I don't remember ever seeing in shops (the kit came from eBay). My guess would be early seventies.
Rob
Reply to
Rob van Riel
Yeah, the blue bordered box was late sixties/early seventies followed by the photobox. Decals of that era, if they haven't been moistured corrupted should respond to fluids as you experienced. Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
Closer to the mid-'60s, IIRC. That was the era my example hailed from.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak