SR-1 Ejection Seats...

Does any company makes this one in 1/48 scale?
Doing a SR-71A Blackbird kit.

--
WILLIAM L. POWELL

True Details used to make an entire cockpit detail set for it some years ago if I remember correctly. I don't know if it's still available, though.
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been

True Details is making a set.
Here: http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TD48478
or in Europe, here:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=TD48478
--
mvh Uffe

How exacly does anyone eject from a plane travelling at 2000mph on the fringes of outer space? Just curious.
(kim)
kim wrote:

One doesn't.
Ejection seats have operational/successful employment envelopes just like an aircraft does. Ya gotta slow down, be in a reasonable attiude, at a reasonable altitiude, at a resonable airspeed, and more likely a combination of all of the above. And they vary with the seat type and aircraft combination.
The one that always got me was when I asked a Marine Harrier pilot what he would do if he were trapped in the cockpit after ditching with the jet sinking...said he'd still eject below the surface, that being the fastest way out. That'd HAFTA hurt...
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

He's a Marine, he can take it.
--
-Jack

True but when it comes down to that, "may be fatal" is better odds than "definitely fatal" ;~p
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been
Bill Woodier wrote:

Yeah, but I'd think ejecting into water would be like doing a belly-flop off the high dive...mostly if not definately fatal. Would think you'd break your neck if you're even slightly out of position.
Here's an account from one guy that did it...and survived:
http://www.ejectionsite.com/eunderh2o.htm
--
- Rufus

Well, you're wearing a pressure suit for the long fall and at that altitude there's a LOT less air molecules to beat you to pulp. Wouldn't say it would be pretty. As an example look at some of the insane speeds folks who have done free falls out of balloons at altitude have achieved.
http://tinyurl.com/6kkta
or even some of the SR-71 ejections on record (well this was more of a Mach 3 break-up but you get the idea)
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/sr-71_break-up.htm
Keep in mind, ejecting is one of those "here goes nothing" propositions as the alternative should always be worse.
Pugs (2400 hours, zero ejections)