SR-71 Blackbird Choices

Ever since my visit to Pima Air Museum last fall, I've wanted to build a Blackbird. There are several versions out there and was wondering if anyone could recommend any of the options. I was thinking of 1/72 scale. There is a 1/48 by Testors but I'll bet that one is a bit large. Thanks for the help (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I just did the old Monogram 1/72 kit last month.Not bad at all for it's age,and relatively cheap and easy to find.(Got it with a 40% off coupon at Michaels crafts). I have the Testors 1/48 YF-12...and yes it's HUGE,also nice for it's age but room for improvement if that turns you on.I did it 20 years ago and it's still one of my favorite kits,even tho I prefer 1/72. If anything the Monogram kit is better detailed,IMHO,but I may be scale prejudiced :)

Reply to
eyeball

what color scheme does their vulcan have?

How about the 72nd scale Hasegawa version?

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

If I recall correctly, Pima doesnt have a Vulcan- Castle Air Museum near Merced is the only one on the Pacific coast I know of. Castle is definitely worth a trip if you're heading up Sacramento way.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

I'm with eyeball. Monogram's is very good. Testors also had a YF-12 version of their SR-71 out. My Monogram got built but I never got to the other one. L-S also had a beautiful one in 1/144th but I have no idea if it's still available or from whom.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

1/72 SR-71s were done by Italeri (scaled down version of the 1/48 kit), Monogram, Hasegawa, and Academy (although the Academy one may be a copy of the Hasegawa kit)..

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

thanks jim, i mix those up. i plan to go in feb with some eastern friends who want to hit sf, too. berkely hobby, here i come! after all you lucky dogs near say about the place, i'm taking my firstborn and piggy bank for funds.

Full size M-21 with D-21`drone at Museum of Flight in Seattle...

1/72 kit by Academy.

Jack G

Reply to
Jack G

Italeri did a 1/72 model of the YF-12 which is fairly good even if some of the detail is a little basic... but then reserching the aircraft would not have been easy for them at the time. The Academy kit is quite nice and not a copy of the Hasegawa if I remember corectly though you need to buy aftermarket decals if you but it as they were terible. Dont paint the aircraft black though. Mix your own paint as black dosent look right on the aircraft. Best of luck with your build and Merry Xmass

Regards

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

You left out the OLLLDDD Revell 1/72 SR-71 & YF-12.

Dave Williams wrote:

Reply to
frank

"Count DeMoney" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com...

I would definatly go for the Academy kit. Got the following: Academy 1/72 Italeri 1/72 Testors 1/48

My opinion is that the best of those is the Academy kit. You could also take a look at this: PE bits and resin on Squadron's homepage or at Hannants

Uffe Bærentsen

"Count DeMoney" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com...

Some time ago I saw that Tally Ho was making PE for a 1/48 Blackbird. I never saw this PE for sale anywhere. Does anybody know of a source for this PE. As far as I remember it was 'meshing' for the engines.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

you mean the revell gap71?

yeah, academy for sure.

Dont paint the aircraft black though. Mix your own paint as black dosent look right on the aircraft. Best of luck with your build and Merry Xmass

Regards

Gondor

The one at Pima is somewhere between black and grey. Maybe a charcoal grey. I took a lot of pics including some that are pretty close up and shot if full sun. I am going to try to print some sections of color to get a match. The only thing here is how much has that Arizona sun faded the original color?? (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

They have one?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

He said he wanted to build one, not collect kits. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yeah... got one somewhere here.... Old. Wonder if they did a re-pop of the Monogram kit? It looked pretty good last time I checked....

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Check out this site: