Subject: Shows Class

forwarded from: Peter Young, Florence

Last Wed we were in Colo Springs for the AF Academy graduation; featured speaker was George W Bush. A little long winded, but the speech was punctuated with a lot of applauses, which suggested that a lot of the military brass in attendance support him. However, what was more impressive to me was the fact that he personally saluted and congratulated every single cadet that crossed the stage, my son included.

There were nearly 1000 cadets and this process took 1 hour, 40 minutes. I watched him through my zoom, and he displayed the personal touch all the way through: every cadet was saluted; the men were then given a hand shake and often a pat on the shoulder with his left hand or some other personal words; the women were all given a hug and some of the women cadets also gave him a kiss on the check. Occasionally a cadet would ask for a "wave to my parents" and then the cadet and the president would turn to the crowd and wave in the correct direction. He showed as much enthusiasm to the middle and last cadets as to the first ones -- in fact, he looked like he was enjoying himself!

At the Academy graduation, the "top 10%" are noted as Distinguished Graduates (known as "DG's" -- the Academy doesn't have summa, magna cum laude, etc.) and they graduate first. The rest of the graduates walk across by squadron (36 squadrons). 5 years ago when Clinton was there, he only personally congratulated the DG's (takes about 10 minutes) and then he sat down.

Bush was offered the same option, but refused - said he wanted to recognize every single graduate.

This is the stuff about what the man does that never makes the news....

Reply to
William H. Shuey

How about you showing some class and not post OT ?

Other than pumping sunshine up your own skirt why did you post this here?

Go tell someone that cares,

Swampfox

Reply to
Swampfox

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

That's because he'e genuine. Like him or not, he's the real deal.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

...and he's very confused about which party he belongs in. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Polite applause only; what you would expect from officers and gentleman. In no way does this suggest military support for Mr. Bush In reality, they hate his guts. .../V

This impressed the author of the article? He is easy to impress. ..../V

Probably the only way he can enjoy himself these days. Did the GOP demand "Republican loyalty oaths" from all cadets in attendence, like they required last week at a rally for Cheney? ..../V

Clinton was running the country effectively. Bush is ruining it. How many cadet hands get shaken seems to be a trivial point to me. ...../V

When I graduated from Johns Hopkins in 1968, Milton Eisenhower shaked my hand personally. Now Milton was 10 times more a real man then GWB will ever be. And Hopkins is at least twice as difficult academically as is the AFA. .../V

I do salute the military academies with their emphasis on "duty, honor, country;" especially the honor part; sadly lacking in the civilians in the administration. ..../V

Then again, one wonders. With all the sex scandals at the AFA these last two years, why would any politician want to be associated with them? ..../V

And recall, he has yet to go to a funeral of a fallen soldier in Iraq. .../V

because ...... ring-a-ding ..... it is not news-worthy. ..../V

It is obvious to me now, and should be to everyone, that the GOP cannot run for re-election "on their record" and expect to win. Why? Because their record is so pathetic.

All they have are "puff" pieces like this one. They think we are stupid to fall for the line "vote for Bush because he shakes graduating cadet's hands." But, that is all they have to use in a campaign against a real military hero.

..../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

I agree that individual reporters tend towards the left. This is because they are educated, thinking, rational people, in general.

I disagree that the the media is "left leaning" when one looks at management and ownership of the newspapers, cable news and radio stations. These folks are rabid neocons, and they call the shots and bias the news towards Bush, not against him.

In fact, our media today is totally controlled by right wing bigots, and this talk about a "liberal media" is all lies, lies, lies. ...... propagated and perpetuated by clowns like Super Al.

..../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

McCain is one of the few Republicans left who deserve any kind of respect for integrity. Yes, he blew it during the Savings & Loan scandals, but since then he has been one of the few voices of reason in the GOP.

...../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Bush is a total phony, liar and extremely dangerous, mentally unhinged man. I guess you can call that the "real deal."

..../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Hence the quotes around his party affiliation..... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Maybe he cares for for the people that put him in office than mere party affiliation? I mean aren't we Americans first and Republicans or Democrats second (or even further down the list)?

The Old Timer

They "tend toward the left" like Atilla the Hun "tended to have a little anger management issue."

Yeah, sure; Ted Turner is about as pro-Bush as they come, right?

Yes, of course, Peter Jennings and Dan Blather are about as staunch right-wing untra-conservatives as you can get, huht? Yeah, sure. You're consistent, if nothing else, my man.....consistently out in the ozone without a clue.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Thank you, Vessticles. Considering the "regard" with which I hold you and your opinions, I take such words of denegration from the likes of you to be a strong endorsement of President Bush and proof he's on the right track.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I was going to respond to this diatribe point by point but you're just so full of crap that the post would have to be so long to address all your inaccuracies, half-truths, and just nasty, misguided and mindless hatred that it just isn't worth it. Put your tinfoil hat back on, son, so you will be protected by those evil alien mind control rays.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

hand personally. Hopkins is at >least twice as difficult academically as is the AFA.

Evidently the Hopkins English Department could use a shake up.

/Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

Man, you calling Al a clown; that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Are you talking about Bush or the guy who preceded him???

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

snippage

Would you agree that the Sun rises in the East on most mornings in most locations?

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Vess blurted:

Bill S noted:

No Bill, That is a case of Vess accentuating his words with flatulence!

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

It's more like what it would sound like if shit could complain about being stepped on.

WmB

WmB

"Vess Irvine" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

You just keep deluding yourself. Will you kill yourself in abject despair when it becomes obvious a sizeable majority disagree with you?

Reply to
Gray Ghost