Supersonic Airliners

I have the Heller/Airfix? Air France kit (I forget what it is)

Was there only one type that Air France and BA shared or do I need to hunt for a BA version?

What museum is the USA's version in?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

"Craig" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

Air France= NASM Washington BAe= MoF Seattle

-- _________________________________________ Pierre-Henri BARAS

Co-webmaster de French Fleet Air Arm

de l'Aviation sur le web

Pierre-Henri Baras

I thought we made at least one test plane but then got out of the business soon after...

Reply to
Craig

is in Hiller Aviation Museum

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

"Craig" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

oooops sorry, I thought you were asking in which american museums the Concords given to the US were going to. Must be the emotion of seeing the mighty bird fly for the last time.... Pierre-Henri

Reply to
Pierre-Henri Baras

The forward section of the Boeing SST is in the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos California on the San Francisco peninsula.

Reply to
Rick DeNatale

I figured I'd better not respond until that question was clarified; Boeing only got as far as a mock up, I assume part of that is in the Hiller museum. Unless you were referring to the Tu-144 that the Russians revived to help NASA out with their research recently. In which case the aircraft in question was still at Zhukovsky in August (although it may have been sold on eBay); the museum at Monino outside Moscow has one also, as does a museum in Germany, the name of which escapes me, but it also has one of the Air France Concordes. As already mentioned, for Concordes in the US, the NASM in Washington DC has an Air France one now; British Airways is considering sending one to Seattle and one to New York, possibly the Intrepid museum (not sure if they've got the space, and I'm not sure whether that's the best choice in terms of corrosion). I'd like to see one at Pima; given they've got a Viscount and a Caravelle already. As for Friday being the last flight; last passenger carrying flight, yes, but they still have to be delivered to the museums. So there's still a chance (~five chances) to see one in it's element.

As for the kit, the aircraft of AF and BA should be similar externally apart from the paint scheme.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Question: Has anyone heard any more about the rumor that the Saudi Royal Family was asking about buying one?? If anyone has the $$$ they would.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Some money is better than others. Rumor had it that Richard Branson (Virgin Airways) also wanted to buy one. But word from British Airways is that all seven remaining Concordes are going to museums--which one where to be announced.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

Richard Branson offered to buy them all to keep them in operation, but BA declined.

-- estarriol

Reply to
The shuffling Shambling Zombiefied corpse of estarriol

Not heard that rumour before today. Current BA PR seems that they'll be going to museums. Or become gate guards.

The current reckoning is one each to: Manchester Barbados New York Seattle Bristol Filton (I always though Filton had one already, the last UK production airframe, kept as a source of spares for the BA fleet). I think. Last week's Flight International magazine had a list of the current options. Remember that only five of the seven BA aircraft are airworthy; the other two didn't have the fuel tank modifications required after the Paris crash. They may be able to fly on a temporary C of A for a delivery flight; if not they are either stuck at Heathrow or would have to come out on the back of a truck or in an Antonov.

Well, there is the slight problem that Airbus are withdrawing the type certificate (apparently at the end of the month). When that's withdrawn, no one will be able to fly one for normal scheduled services (at least, not in an ICAO country). I believe Branson did discuss it with Airbus, but despite being the lead customer for the A340-600 and a lead customer for the A380, it appears that he was turned down. It's not easy to maintain and operate an aircraft which stopped being developed and produced in the late seventies. Spares cost a fortune, and in most cases have to be made from scratch. None of the product development associated with more numerous types happened for Concordes; apart from the Safety modifications, very few modifications were made.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

I don't think even with the Saudi Royal's money you could keep a Concorde flying- they'd have to fabricate any necessary parts from scratch. Nothing else uses those engines, etc.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

in article %gWmb.16346$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.news.adelphia.net, Jim Atkins at snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote on 26/10/03 21:38:

. Nothing

except severel types of warships and some power stations IIRC

Reply to
Rory Manton

Our local emergency power station has two RR Olympus' (Olympii? - whatever!!) in it - it's right by the local hospital to provide power in the event of the statewide grid failing.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

They also turned down approaches by BAE and Cobham to take over as certificate authority. A friend in the aviation industry says it is a French plot because Air France wanted to stop using Concorde (hence why they retired theirs as soon as possible), but it was a matter of national pride as long as BA had them as well, So if they could find a way that BA had to retire theirs as well.........

AF turned down an approach from Virgin as well.

Reply to
Dave Fleming