"swirlies" on the plastic

I have an old (1988) KP Su-25 Frogfoot I'm going to work on pretty soon and I noticed some defects on the surface. An experienced modeler friend referred to them as "swirlies" (technical term I guess). The kit has gorgeous raised detail so sanding is out. Is there any other way to get rid of them? Is it necessary to get rid of them? I ran a blunt toothpick over the pattern and I only found two very minor snags. Any ideas?

Thx,

Bill Perez

"Bill Perez" wrote in news:7_mnb.4518$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

They will most likely disappear under paint.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Agree. These swirlies are formed by the flow of the plastic through the spru gates and into the molds. Oftentmes it happens when the plastic is beginning to cool a little . As Frank said, for the most part, they will not show through the paint. If you find a spot that's obviously a deeper crease, try a little "Mr surfacer" or other priper just on that spot. Carefullf sand theat spot and you should be good-to-go.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

in article 7_mnb.4518$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net, Bill Perez at snipped-for-privacy@EXTRAearthlink.net wrote on 10/27/03 11:17 PM:

Give it a coat of thinned down Mr. Surfacer 1000, then see if the surface problems are still visible. Chances are they will be "filled." If they aren't you can sure see them.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell