"The Aviator" Report-

Just got back from seeing The Aviator- excellent film- I didn't realize Leonardo could actually act! Only a couple of technical nitpicks- the H-1 racer keeps switching long and short span wings, and the F-11 has post 1947 insignia with the red stripes, while they date the first flight and horrific crash in 1946. All in all, an excellent movie that keeps you fascinated for

2 hours and 45 minutes! The crash of the F-11 is an amazing piece of work- truly frightening. SWMBO and I gave it two thumbs up!
Reply to
Jim Atkins

short span wings..

No canopy in the ground shots, canopy in the flying shots. The beet field crash landing was pretty intense, but the XF-11 crash left you exhausted.

Act? Oh yeah! Almost three hours of watching a man's mind unwind was unerving and Di Capro pulled it off with room to spare. Hated the Kate Blanchett role as Kate Hepburn, though.

The Senate committee scenes near the end was eerie. He nailed those scenes.

The Hercules scenes could have been better, at least the short flight.

All in all I'll be grabbing the DVD when it comes out. Oh, and was that the Boeing Model 100 in the early scenes during the filming of Hell's Angels? They did a good job with the computers making the whole field of Witchita Fokkers, SE.5s, etc., at least better than the Hercules.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Definitely....despite our misgivings about DiCaprio; anyone who can open up a can of "ass whup" on Alan Alda....is "okay" in my book.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

History and Howard Hughes MIGHT have helped him a little.....

The Old Timer

I saw a snippet on TV, how did Howard live through that? Punctured a lung in six places with associated broken ribs. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Also don't forget as he lay in the hospital he designed the hospital bed.

The guy was brillant

Reply to
GCLOWER

I wish my great-grandfather had pattented the hospital bed tray when he was stuck in a bed for months back around the time of the California gold rush.

You know, tray attached to a frame which wheels under the bed. He even had the tray tilt up for reading the way they are done now. Have his journal with the sketches from that time. A patent search shows that it wasn't patented untl

1902 and the tilt feature not until the 1930s.

Oh well.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Keep in mind............. this is A c t i n g............

Reply to
francis marion