KC-135

Looking to do a dio. of a/c refueling only I don't have enough space to do the

1/72 line so I'm looking for the revell 1/144 kit. Anyone have one they would like to part with for a fair amount to the green paper stuff? ( - 8 !!! Any help would be most appreciated!
Reply to
JRFORSTER2

You'd probably have to pay more for the crude off-scale Revell kit than you would for the more accurate and more readily available Welsh Models vacform:

.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

The Revell kits (and there are many...) are still pretty cheap and plentiful; but they *are* far too crude to be worth the trouble. Even paying more, for a Welsh kit; would still be an advantage.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Maybe the so-called 'E-3' releases but not the actual KC-135 versions. Even the later reissues normally go for $20 and up on eBay and the "S" kit can go much higher than that.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Al, baby. He just wants to hang it from the ceiling. While the Revell kit is not as accurate as we'd like (I have several of the 707/E-3 versions) if the guy just wants to hang it from the rafters refueling another bird it will be fine. I think I've even seen a kit with the KC and a 1/144 F-15.

See review

baically it doesn't suck.

Or if he wants he can wait for the AMTech 135 kits. They are projecting up to 10 different versions of tankers, ELINT, recon, research and command versions. I'll certainly grab a tanker if they aren't to expensive.

Remember your own words "Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to, and the critics will flame you every time." Remember this is supposed to be a fun diversion. And not everyone likes VACS. I have a vac of a Beaufort in 1/48 and as much as I relly love that plane I can't bring myself to start it, especially knowing an injected version is on it's way.

JRFORSTER2, just watch eBay. I know there is one up there from CA Hood for BuyItNow $100. They are nice people but tend to be a tad unrealistic or maybe overly optimistic. Set up a search and have it notify you when it's found something. Be patient. I have a bunch of decals for 727-100s but I'm not paying top dollar for old kits. I was patient and suddenly I'm rolling in them, for cheap.

Or just wait for AMTech. Great Models has them as taking preorders. 24.95 list, $18.70 sell price. Man o man I guess I will buy a few!

Jeez Al, lighten up. You're usually the voice of reason.

8)
Reply to
Gray Ghost

I just dug out my "KC-135" release. Man...far "cruder" than I remembered. Did *any* of their 135/707 kits have a halfway decent fuselage cross section?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Greg Heilers wrote in news:2Aqxd.4902$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Well the 707s didn't and they should have but I thought the KC had a different fuselage and didn't have the "lobes". At least I think that's what my reference said, to lazy and tired to go upstairs and check.

There is a relatively easy way to add a lobe, sort of. Either at the Airliners Modeling Digest Yahoo Group or it's associated web page.

I have the Airfix, Revell (several different presentations), Frog/Novo/Eastern Express and Minicraft 707-120/320/420. I've been comparing them off and on. Some time this winter I'm gonna lay them out side by side and really see what's what. I'm sorta ambivalent about panel lines in this scale, overall shape and impression seem more important.

BTW: The Revell 707/E-3 kit is a -100. But the E-3s were all actually

707-300s and not a KC-135 variant. The rotordome is good so put that and the Revell decals on the Minicraft -320 and supposedly you have a sweet combo. Than use the Revell kit to do a -100 of some kind.
Reply to
Gray Ghost

All of the Revell C-135, 707, 720's, and, as far as I know, the E-3, had the same fuselage cross section. Mold plugs took care of windows or refueling station. You could fasten a KC-135 fuselage to the 707, and it would be the same length, as well as same diameter. Someone has already announced plans to do the -135 series in 1/144, but I forgot who. I believe Minicraft announced they will do a new E-3. Ron

Reply to
Ron Monroe

"Ron Monroe" wrote in news:xYqxd.4917$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Hmm. I will have to check my refs on that. the 135s are by AMtech. Wuth a list of $25 and Great Models preordering at $19 I see a few in my future. That's good news from Minicraft but it took them long enough.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Sure - the 135s are fine in that regard. It's when Revell started passing off the same basic kit as one or another variant of the 707/720 series that they went astray.

The 135 and 707, though similar in appearance and having a common ancestor in the Dash 80 prototype, are very different airframes.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

If he said that I missed it.

707/E-3 versions)

Sure, but unless he can find one cheap he might as well get the Welsh kit. It's a high-quality vac and certainly isn't any harder to build than the Revell - it might even be easier.

That was a KC-10, and it's *much* better than the 135, being of more recent vintage.

Les did a great job on his model but, as I intimated in my original post, it took a ton of work to get it to that point.

I never said it did, only that it was crude and off-scale.

I'm crossing my fingers that they actually get released...

Yeah. Building the Revell kit isn't my idea of 'fun' though. YMMV. ;)

I know and that's why I specifically pointed out that the Welsh kit is a vac-formed model.

Good thinking! OTOH I know of more than one vac kit that's superior to its injection-molded counterpart.

Only in politics. I take models *much* more seriously... ;-p

Noted, and I hope my response is taken as it is intended. ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I do remember the KC-10 and F-15 kit but I've never seen a -135 with F-15. Hmm, think I know someone who has one of those...maybe I can talk him out of it...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller