Trashy Model Section At Walmarts

Looks like they're losing the sales war,at least at the one closest to
me,these lil' brats just love tearing into the shelfs while mom 7 dad
think its unimportant.
Reply to
teem
Says a lot about the character of some Walmart customers.
OTOH, that thread header had me wondering if there were models out that...Nah, not at family-friendly Wallworld!
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-modeller
He's lucky his Wally-World even ~has~ models~ Our local generally stocks a couple of car kits, otherwise mostly those pre-painted put-together-with-a-screwdriver things. The one south of Buffalo, in the rurals ~does~ stock a lot of NASCAR, but nothing else.
Reply to
The Old Man
OTOH I saw the latest Revell Superhornet at K-Mart, $12. Well in the range of kid modellers, not too hard to build or finish. I don't often buy kits there, but I like to pass by that section and face out the kits if they're a mess. (I usually put the P-51's out front.)
Reply to
tomcervo
Glad to hear I am not the only one that fixes the model section at Walmart. The ones in my area of SoCal carry mainly car kits, but a few planes as well. I do the same thing at Michael's Craft store in the area as well, I straighten out the kits when I am looking at them. Gotta promotet he hobby somehow. Steve
Reply to
steve
Wal Marts in my area have maybe 4 or 5 model cars;one or two Revellogram 1/48 planes(and I do 1/72 or smaller)and a messed uppaint selection where kids have sprayed paint all over.K Marts in this area stopped carrying models about 10 years ago.Micheals has a really good car selection,the same 2 or 3 1/48 planes and two 1/72 kits:The testors Corsair and Dauntless.That's it.I get my models through mail order now.The few hobby shops left have tripled their prices in the past year.
steve wrote:
Reply to
eyeball
I tried asking the manager if he wanted to sell off the opened kits halfprice. He said no. I tried the same thing at Kmart years ago back when they had the trashed out model section, same answer. I hate to think they just dumpster them. No wonder they don't want to carry them.
A local Sear's department store used to carry models back when I was younger. They had a simple policy; you open it, you bought it. If they caught you a second time (that they remembered, honestly), you were shown the door and "advised" not to come back any time soon. And they had a clerk in the toys and hobby section that kept an eye on such things. Anybody actually ~spraying~ paint would find himself going home in a black and white.
But I guess times were different back then.
Reply to
The Old Man
One of our local Hobby Lobby stores has been having problems with kits being ripped open and parts removed. They had 6 Aoshima 4x4 Toyota trucks with the nice big wheels and tires ripped out of the box. The manager gave me the remains and vowed never to order those particular kits again. I can't say as I blame him.
Reply to
Count DeMoney
FWIW This is the kind of thing that happens when a store has inadequate help to keep an eye on things.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
We have an 'open the kit' policy - we even take shrink wrap off as we don't think that most guys can buy a kit without loooking at it. Mind you we have a small sales area (cramped is more like it) and we can manage that sort of thing. The big toy shops locally have trouble with people swapping out cheap Tamiya kits with expensive ones and paying for the small one! David SBX Model Shop
of Montex Masks to the world!
Reply to
david
Did nt see the double meaning til you mentioned it.OOhhh.I hate those trailer trash fukers who think they can open anything just ''see inside'' if i were a manager at a wal mart & saw someone popping open a box,well,2 hockey sticks is putting it ''nicely''.Bastards.
Reply to
teem