TU-16 badger gray

Hello all, I saw pictures of russian Tu-16 Badgers painted in two tone with white underside and gray topside surface. Does anybody know a close match for the gray color?

thank you,

Oz

Reply to
leandrio

I have a feeling that what you call grey is NM/silver (lacquer?) in cloudy weather. Can you provide a pictorial reference? If it's grey, it's probably the same as on the Tu-22 and Su-24, light grey with a subtle blue/violet component, VERY prone to fading... Start with FS 36375 and work from there. I have mixed Humbrol 127 and 128 with acceptable results. Added the O/P off-white for fading, can't remember the number, maybe 147.

HTH Bonehammer

Reply to
Bonehammer

The grey scheme is correct.....

There is a colour profile in the centre spread of the Russian mag 'Mir Aviatsiya' - No 3/99.

This shows a Tu-16K-26 Bort number 'Red 08' in a grey-and-white scheme from the 1st sqn of the 99th Guards Independent recon Regt based at Priozyorsk (Sary-Shagan) AB, Kazakhstan, late 1980's

It has a Guards badge, small red mission stars and logo on the port nose

- with a crocodile on the stbd nose.

The accompanying text says..... "The aircraft is painted in one of the standard colours developed for the Tu-16. The upper surfaces are light bluish grey; the fuselage sides and undersurfaces are greyish white".....

There is a colour side profile of the same a/c on page 57, a colour three-view of a different a/c on page 69 plus some colour & B&W photos of grey/white Badgers in Airtime's 'Tuploev Bombers'

So I would go with a light blue-grey - but I can't offer any further advice - its a matter of mixing and testing.

Hope this helps...

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

Thank you very much guys for your help.

Oz

Ken Duffey wrote:

Reply to
leandrio

Good news! That's the a/c that the Trumpeter kit has the decals for, right? Great! I suck at natural metal!

Thx, Bone

Reply to
Bonehammer