US ARMY, camouflage, Germany, early 70'es (pre-MERDC)

I don't think I understand that sentence. Are you saying that the USAREUR Sand color was not matched to FS595? If so, I would guess it was a German paint; in that case, it can either have been a custom mixed color, or a standard RAL color. Or what do you mean by "different type of paint"?

The only WWII Sand I have to judge visually is the very pink Sand 26 sample from Archer's book on USAAC colors. There seems to be no FS color like it, but RAL 3012 Beige Red looks *very* close. However 30279 also has a pink tone, and was already mentioned as a possible candidate for the sand color?

I just don't notice anything pinkish about the sand color in any of the images I've found so far, though, but that could be due to the reproduction, of course. Comparing the pictures to pictures of MERDC vehicles, where the sand color is most likely 30277, I'd say the color looks similar.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

Lasse,

The paint they used had a gloss or semi-gloss sheen to it, and was not from the later MERDC "lustreless enamel" that also came with a radar-scattering element contained in its pigment. It was closed to the old "Sand" with that pinkish tint which made most of us think it came out of leftover stocks from the 1950s.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Now, that of course is something that can be very difficult to tell from photographs, but with the pictures I've seen, taken in various light conditions, I would have presumed that a gloss or even semigloss finish would show light reflections of some kind, for example:

or

or

Of course it only takes a thin layer of dust to make anything appear flat, which is how I had perceived every image so far. But still, I find your information very hard to believe!

Don't you mean IR-scattering?

Again, I don't see much pink in the Sand color of the above linked pictures. That doesn't mean it isn't there, of course. Your eyes have seen the real thing, mine haven't.

Do you know whether there are any museums or displays in Germany displaying US Army vehicles in this camouflage scheme? I doubt there can be any other way of verifying this, short of finding the original order defining the camouflage?

BTW, look at the 82nd AB Gama Goat at this link:

Is this a case of MERDC with exaggerated Sand patches, or another instance of the camouflage we are discussing?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

I forgot to refer to the particular picture I was talking about; it's the second picture, "82ABN 1F320 C13". The picture below, "C14" makes me say "hmmm?" And the last picture is of course a clear case.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen