Vacuform kits

Thanks Andy, got the article. The URL to home page of the site was what wasn't working.
Andy Macrae wrote:

It doesn't render properly with Netscape or Mozilla but works okay with Internet Exploder.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:26:55 -0600, Al Superczynski wrote:

Yep....the html coding is attrocious. I saved the source, and took out some of the "MicroSoft-only" crap in his <style> section. I got it to work Mozilla/Opera/Konqueror, etc....
--

Greg Heilers
SlackWare Linux user

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

CSS issues aside, the main culprit is Apache qualifying HTTP responses as "text/plain". Any browser paying attention to content type is therefore obliged to treat HTML it's receiving as text, and display accordingly. IE OTOH attempts to render the contents regardless of what HTTP indicates, and displays the page as intended.
I explained the issue to the guy given as technical contact.
Chris
Well then, I guess I won't be doing business with them....make it hard for me to spend MY money and guess what......MY money goes elsewhere.
Al Superczynski wrote:

Strange! I use Netscape 4.7 and I have never had any trouble using Aero-Club's website, as the stack of Aero-Club kits in the celler will attest to.
                                Bill Shuey
Ron wrote:

I have just downloaded and printed pages 1 - 9 Vacform modelling from aeroclub. This is ecaxtly what I was looking for. Thanks again. Ingo

Heh. I pointed out this very possibility to the webmaster and got a very snide response for my trouble. I still wonder if Aeroclub is aware of his attitude.......

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
More fools they then.
Al Superczynski wrote:

Someone built the thing, SOB IIRC (although I don't know if you can say SOB when it comes to vacs) in an old SAM issue I think. Want some scans of the article?
HTH Bonehammer
Thank you all very much for good advise and links. May be the twin-boomed Sea Vixen is not really a starter kit - my first idea was Dynavector's Javelin, but it was not available at Hannant's, so I ordered the Sea Vixen (I must have one!) If it's too much for me, I'll try something easier (Wyvern?) first, if not, you may see it at Hyperscale one day.
I wonder why there are no injection-moulded kits in 1/48 of all these great airplanes....Attacker, Sea Vixen, Canberra, Javelin, Swift, Scimitar, Gannet, Sea Vixen, Wyvern (what is a Wyvern? not in my dictionary) I would buy them all. At least there is an Sea Hawk announced by Classic airframes. Ingo
there is something else about vacuform kits most folks don't think about. let say you have a basic simple shape and you want to make a casting of this. you usually would buy the expensive rubber to cast the shape. if the shape is simple, vacuform it. then use the vacuform as the mold to hold the resin. some vacuform kits can be converted to resin with surprising results.

: there is something else about vacuform kits most folks don't think about. : let say you have a basic simple shape and you want to make a casting of : this. you usually would buy the expensive rubber to cast the shape. if the : shape is simple, vacuform it. then use the vacuform as the mold to hold the : resin. some vacuform kits can be converted to resin with surprising results.
I haven't yet experimented with resin casting, but doesn't the resin get hot while it's curing? Just wondering whether this would risk distorting (or destroying....) the vac in the process?
yes the resin gets hot, depending on the size of the piece. if you can wrap your head around a scifi show i can explain. take the enterprise c or excelcisor. i took .040 and did a vacuform around the top saucer, but i did not heat the plastic enough to get a snug fit, just a outline. i then took .020 heated fully, and vacuformed the top section so as much detail would come out. i placed the thin, completed .020 inside the thicker piece. i sprayed mold release, and poured. the saucer is about 6" in diameter. it save a lot on cost. i only had to use rubber for the detail of the command area, the impulse, section and so forth, for which i simply made small dams to hold the rubber. for smaller pieces such as a wing on a 1/48 scale aircraft, you can, if concerned about warping, put the vacuform in the freezer for a few minutes before pouring. this, however is not really neccesary. the amount of heat for such a small pice is insignificant. just make sure you use mold release before pouring.

i have only done a couple vacs. someone told me, a long time ago, that as a first step, i should paint the entire kit in a primer gray. this helped enormously in cutting out indivual parts. i completed a B-57F in 1/72 by carefully wet-sanding those wings using masking tape on my fingers and a sidewalk! so much for sanding blocks. not a contest winner, but it looks good on my shelf.