ICM KITS

If anyone has experience with ICM kits and is willing to share that information, I would very much appreciate your evaluation and advise. Thanks for the heads up in advance. Regards, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce W. Apple MA, NCC

I've built their yak 7 and -9k... not Tamiya but decent kits (the -7 was better than the -9.) Not much interior detail.

They're on my site,

EGMcCann

Bruce:

I have built only one ICM so far, their Spitfire Mk.XVIe, Belgian Air Force kit. It appears to be accurate in outline and dimension (Hasegawa take note) and the decals are good. Two points I would highlight. The kit is somewhat "over engineered" as far as parts breakdown is concerned and the instructions need to be read carefully to avoid mistakes. The kit is designed to be built in one of two formats. Either with the nose closed up or with the nose panels opened up with the engine visible. If the latter is desired their is some cutting to be done and a number of very thin parts used to enable the engine to be mounted with all the front fuselage panels off. Be sure you understand which steps in the instructions apply to which format. Secondly, they use a mold release in their kit production that requires the parts to be washed very thoroughly before glue and paint will apply. Ignore this warning at your risk.

Otherwise, have fun! Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

i have their illya muromets and while i haven't started it, their are 7 sprues of light gray and one o clear for this

1.72 kit. no flash, the instructions are clear and just the engines by thensleves, while intricate, look like they could be models on their own merit. here is a urel from someone else's build.
the kit is so good looking i am waiting until my skills improve before i tackle it. alanger.com has some great deals on icm and eastern express. po' folks prices.

thanks, bill, i did not know about the mold release and left a note in the kit for the day i start it.

That URL is wrong. it should be alanger.us

Reply to
Giessenlad

danke.

bitte

Reply to
Giessenlad

I have the ICM PzKpfw II ausf. L Luchs and ausf. F Flamingo. The Luchs was coated with a real sticky mold release that took some simple green cleaner to remove.

The kits look pretty good to me.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Boy!, tripod.com sure hits you with a lot od friggin' popups!

Reply to
Mike G.

mozilla, baby. kills crap dead.

from the ICM website....

Firm ICM > If anyone has experience with ICM kits and is willing to share that

Reply to
Woody

try here: I have done business with them and they have supported our club in the past. Great service.

Woody

e wrote:

Reply to
Woody

Greetings Friends, Thanks for the input and advise on ICM kits. Info and heads up most appreciated. I purchased kits from "alanger.us" Great service and prices so low that I was suspicious enough to start this thread. Thanks also for the tip on simple green. Formula 409 and Fantastic did not cut the mold release agent on a current project and I had to strip the aircraft, sand and repaint. Obviously I was not using the right stuff to wash the kit before building. Cheers, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce W. Apple MA, NCC

Unfortunately... of course, that's why I use Mozilla... When I can afford to, the site'll have a new (permanent) home.

Reply to
EGMcCann

Their MiG-3 is a very nice kit and goes together quite well even though the wing/fuselage connection is more complicated than it needed to be.

The Spitfire IX series is said to be the most accurate in shape of any 1/48 kits, but it's marred by a lot of sink marks and other molding defects which have largely been put down to poor quality control. I built the Mk.XVI (late war bubble top) and am very pleased with the final product. One upside is that Ultracast makes a lot of excellent resin replacement parts for the Spitfire series.

The Yak-7 kits are decent except for the clear parts with grossly oversized canopy framing. You can get a vacuform replacement from Squadron. There's also a nice resin cockpit set from Cutting Edge.

I haven't had my hands on any of the P-51 kits, but I've read they're basically rip-offs of the Tamiya kits. I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss