Website for the M113

I'm not really an armor man, but I stumbled across this web site by a person who likes the M113

Dan drumm

That's Mike Sparks' site. Some say he is a nut who thinks the M113 is the end all-be all in military combat vehicles. He decided to name the M113 "Gavin" after an airborne general.

Reply to
RobG

wasn't gavin the guy at arnhem?

"RobG" wrote in news:1160919309.037213.282350 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I am under the impression that Gavin is the original official name for the M113 but for some reason the name never caught on.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I do think he has a point about the tracks vs wheels argument. A tracked vehicle can carry more armour while laying down less pressure on the ground.

It seems that the British Army agrees with him. The FV432 (a vehicle very similar to the M113) is being refurbished and returned to service in Iraq and Afghanistan because it is more versatile than the Land Rovers currently in use, but mostly because it provides *far* more protection to the occupants.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

On another group, they said that the FV432 was being brought back for service in Iraq because the Saxon wheeled APC is not robust enough as it stands and cannot be up-armoured sufficiently. That seems at least as likely as the 432 as a Land Rover replacement. The Warriors are taking a beating in the harsh conditions too.

Gord>> Dan drumm wrote:

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

"Saxon wheeled APC"????

It's a 4-ton truck with a bit of tinplate on the outside!!!! :-D The Saxon was designed for an IS (Internal Security) situation in Northern Ireland. It was intended to provide a modicum of protection against stones and petrol bombs. To deploy a POS like that in a war situation such as pertains in Iraq is a crime against our servicemen.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

How old are theyoungest 432s now? Must be 30 years at least.

Dave Remove nospam to reply!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Exactly. That's why there has been such a controversy in the British media about them. The papers are asking why we are issuing 30 year old refurbished equipment to our troops. I suppose they have a point, but it's ignoring the fact that the FV432 is still a very versatile and efficient vehicle.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

no check this link

jaCK rABBiT