Weird paint schemes, what-ifs?

A while back (several years ago) I started a thread of 'what-if' paint schemes for a B-36. I eventually went with a SIOP over a gloss black belly and under surfaces.

What other cool 'what-if' schemes have youguys and gals ever done? I'm planning on building one of my nu- merous 1/72 scale Abrams tanks as a NASCAR unit based on Marlboro Cigarettes. The red and white with the Marlboro across the glacis would be cool I think!

Then I also want to build a PBY Catalina and paint it in the '60's gull grey/white of the US Navy and paint it in some cool-*ssed carrier squadron colors too. Heck, maybe mount a couple of Mk46 torps under the wings, create a radar nose and throw a pair of Harpoons under there too. :)

Tell us your grandiose plans!

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

How about a B-36 in European 1 scheme, nice low vis wrap round

Reply to
Glenn

How about a B-36 in European 1 scheme, nice low vis wrap round

Reply to
Glenn

Drew Hill offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

I'd like to build an early mark Spitfire in USAAC colours, with OD uppersurfaces and NG lowersurfaces. That's always assuming that there were none in Real Life! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

But there were. There is one at the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio, but it is grey.

near the bottom There are a lot of scale models of OD Spitfires in US markings. Google - USAAC Spitfire

Reply to
willshak

I always thought it would be fun to do a couple of Phantoms in the 1930's schemes of the Boeing F4B-4 and P-12-E...

Jack G

Reply to
Jack G

closest i've come are allied in nazi schemes captured ac stuff. i'm almost finished with the canvas nosed stirling.

Take a look at (and especially the forum on that site) for loads of ideas.

I've done a USAF Gripen, an EDSG-over-white Eurofighter, a low-vis gray EE Lightning, a black F-22 and more.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Seen in a local hobby shop {Some years ago, shop now closed}

A "Next Gen" era Romulan Warbird, in Late-War Luftwaffe splinter/mottle camo. Marked as a GeschwaderKommodore. A Panther, Panzerkampfwagen Mk. V, marked in Black, Goodwrench, 3.

Good for a giggle

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

That's a PRXI and the colour is PRU Blue.

The USAAC used a number of Spitfires. The pressure of operations in the areas in which they were used meant that there was rarely time to repaint them so they invariably saw service in RAF colour schemes with Stars and Bars painted over the roundels. What I'd like to see is specifically an OD/NG scheme. I think that would suit the early mark (short nose) Spitfires very well.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

If I could find the decals I wanted to do a plane in each era the Blue Angels theme.

Peashooter, DH-7, Stealth, etc....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

And I've always had a weird idea to paint a P-51 in EDSG over MSG with

1942 stars. I have absolutely no idea where that comes from.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

What ifs can be a lot of fun. Terry Moore and I have done a couple of April Fool's and had a great time with it. This was a particularly successful one:

with my model, and the accompanying 'documentation' with model by Terry:
In 2007, at IPMS Seattle, there will be a new category called "Jasta Schweinhimmel" (Hog Heaven Squadron, I understand) courtesy of Mike Millette and Mike Medrano. Their concept of the project is that the modeler would build whatever WWI subject they want in 1/48th scale, and put it in whatever markings, with whatever modification they want. It'll be a category at IPMS Seattle on April 21, 2007.

--- Stephen Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

The only one I've been thinking of doing is a NMF operational squadron's colors or SEA camo on a F-107.

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Craig, How about the opposite - a Blue angels set - F/A 18s each one done in a different "Golden Age" pre-war scheme for the different carriers in say

1938. Felix the cat with a bomb as nose art. Silver fuselages, chrome yellow wings, chrome green tails etc. Would be cool if the Navy actually did something like that for a specific anniversary of Naval Aviation.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

My favorite has always been the P-40 with the markings of all of the countries that ooperated Curtiss aircraft.

Does anyone know if there is a 1/72 scale decal sheet for this aircraft?

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

if left to die alone.

Always wanted to do a B58 in Thunderbirds colours for some reason . . .

Reply to
Bob

Hi all.I'm currently building the Otaki P-40E in the proposed desert scheme developed by the USA Corps of Engineers for the N.W.African Air Forces,in WW2.There were a number of color schemes,as they were specific for the color of the terrain the aircraft operated over(Red,Green,Yellow,Sand,etc.).My bird is wearing the Yellow Earth base with the disruptive pattern of Earth Brown.The bellies of these schemes was suopposed to be a mix of one pint of insignia blue added to 1 gal. of insignia white.A very pale blue,I'm using

Reply to
Teresa Voyles