What do aviation modelers think of the latest generation of jet fighters?

The Eurofighter, Rafale, and Gripen are all quite attractive, but IMHO the F-22 Raptor and F-35 JSF look like flying boxes with wings. I don't think they will become coveted modeling subjects (if ever released as a good tooling). Is this the shape of things to come? Any other thoughts?

Reply to
Hoosfoos

I don't think the new aircraft themselves are uninteresting - but the limited number of finishes and markings that can be applied limit their appeal. In the real world this is probably a good thing - but for modeling it makes for dull subjects. My $.02 worth.

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

I remember when the F-4 Phantom II was first in service. Most model makers thought it was too ugly to ever make a good model. Of course, the wide variety of markings certainly helped, but to a generation who were brought up on the P-51D, the Spitfire, the Bf-109 and the F-86.... And one of the best looking aircraft of the period, the F-8, took forever to be produced as a really good model. Not to mention the F-4D.

Anyway, beauty is as beauty does, as they say. When the F-22 and the F-35 see action, we'll want models.

Just two very old cents....

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

In my shop there is a virtual cut off at F4 Phantom era. Almost nothing sells that is later than that - except the Gripen! David SBX Model Shop

of Montex Masks to the world!

Reply to
david

Reply to
JDorsett

The same can be said of navy ships. I have no interest in the boxy, top heavy looking, cruisers and destroyers of today. Bring back the all-gun, pole masted, exposed radar screened, ships of yesterday.

Reply to
willshak

I'm beginning to think model builders spend a bit too much time worrying about form and forgetting about function. These things are built for the express purpose of being efficient killing machines. Period. Not so we can have neat looking models sitting on our shelves and in our stashes. Maybe if one looked at them from that view point, they'd become more attractive.

...either that, or we'd all start building cars.

Reply to
Rufus

What about the F-4 Phantom. A lot of us, even at MDC, thought it was butt-ugly, but powerful looking with a lot of character. There have been HOW many F-4 kits offered?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

*Hundreds* Most of 'em are in my stash! :-D
Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I think that these things called jet fighters of recent vintage are more like computer controlled projectiles rather than aircraft. Perhaps uninteresting because they lack history and individuality. And yes these are killing machines which does not speak well of humanity at all.

Tony

Reply to
tonycynor

What, you think modern-day cars are worth modelling?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Is this to do with the design or with the age of the customer? I know in model railways there is a "40 year rule" and anything built later than that does not sell very well except to kiddies. Could be that today's modellers have find memories of 40 years ago and not much since.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If all you want in your collection is a variety of color and form, and a disregard of higher historical purpose and or global strategic impact...yeah...

Reply to
Rufus

I agree. Who wants to build a Toyota Camray or a Kia Sportage. 98% of cars in New Car Showrooms are not very intereting.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Question: How many 1/48 Gripen molds are there?? I have the Italerii

39A kit. I am told there is another company coming out with a 39C. Is this a different mold or just a re-pop of the Italerii kit with different decals??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

So! Looking at the highway accident deathrate, I'd say the automobile is probably a pretty good killing machine too. Right!!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Hah! Now you've given me an idea...a nice slammed Camry with a custom paint job and a couple of those pretty blue Sidwinders on top (for color, of course...) and "Colorful Killer" painted on the driver's side door sill...

Reply to
Rufus

I tend to tilt seriously toward small air forces. When the Grippen was ordered by the Czechs and Hungarians I really took notice. I have it at the top of the buy list now.

I also prefer props and gliders to jets. Of the 46 completed models in the office only nine are jets. I also tend to avoid aircraft of the larger countries. unless they are captured, loaned or borrowed. There is a Belgian Fokker D.VII, Japanese Buffalo, Swedish P-51B, American Spitfire and FW 190, Hungarian Me 109. Spanish Bu 133 and the like.

The new American fighters are pretty clunky looking, but the F-117 and B-2 have got to be among the coolest designs ever.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Reminds me of a Gent here in Baltimore with a really old classic Mercedes Roadster with iron crosses on the side and two chrome plated machine guns up on the hood! He has a second one a little less garish, has a pretty light gray paint job and two imperial German flags on the front fenders. And then there is his re-built German Motor cycle with sidecar in Africa Corps markings with a dummy MG-34 on the sidecar (at least I assume it is a dummy). As my Uncle used to say:

"They keep telling us money won't buy happiness, but it sure seems that if you have enough you can pick your favorite brand of misery"!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Gag, choke, puke..... Seriously, outside of the new Mustang and the 2-seater T-bird, I can't think of any car made in the past 15 years worth the expense. I'm also willing to accept that this is all a function of age. I simultaneously dis new locomotives, cars and most new aircraft. With airliners I prefer the old styles of liveries. The newer schemes look garish. To add to the age hypothesis, I remember my father back in the '60s saying that all the cars looked alike to him. I recall his 'rude' comment that the then-new Lincolns looked like shoeboxes. At the same time he could ID any car 20 years old or older. It took me a long time before I could figure out -some- of them but I can nail a '60s car at a quarter mile. Today's cars are anonymous until I can spot an emblem. And that doesn't include most of the Oriental makes. Don't get me started on those silly-assed 20 inch wheels that are all the rage right now..., mumble, grumble, mumble.....

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-modeller