Looking for info on Revell 1/72 Draken

Hey all!

I'm interested in the lineage of the Revell 1/72 Saab Draken that came out back in the '60's. I'm guessing that it may be more of a box scale, but is it anything like the Airfix or the Heller kits? The Airfix is 'do-able' and the Heller is pretty nice. I keep seeing it crop up on Ebay for decent prices and was thinking about grabbing one when I get to the states for the summer.

Thanks all!

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

At 1/71 it's about as close as you can get. The rivet treatment, however, ruins the kit. Looks like a really bad case of acne.

One of my "to be completed someday, maybe" projects is the Airfix Draken. The intakes are the only really serious problem with the kit. I grafted a pair of the Revell intakes and the results are really nice. The Heller kit, which offers both single and two seaters, is much better and I have heard that the Hasegawa kits is by far the best.

My Airfix Draken project is so old that it predates the after market products, Bang seat, instrument panel, cockpit sides and floor are all done from scratch, as are the landing gear bays, pop out generator and a few other odds and ends.

If the Revell kit shows up again for a decent price grab it. It's a really nice kit for the history buffs.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

As I recall, the rivets are countersunk and will need to be filled in. Just the other month I had a discussion with another modeller over on abms about the kit. I think I kept a copy of his remarks about it if you're interested. Also, the kit dates back to the '50s. I've seen one in a header bag.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The only version you can make with it is a early J35A and don't bother doing it weels down... And it's more like 1/78. The only thing I can think of doing with Revells Draken is to fill it with firecrackers and make a kamikaze Draken. It really sucks... Go for Hasegawa. I think we had a thread about this useless kit some time ago. But if it is your only choise ok, but otherwise chose some other J35 kit. Airfix is pretty good and still cheap and easy to get.

//André

"Mad-Modeller" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com...

Reply to
4. André