WHAT!!!

A few seconds ago I was watching "Joan of Arcadia".

The father is arguing with his disabled son while the son busilly works away on a model. I missed most of the discussion, but the father's loud comment "Models are for children" caught my attention.

Complaints and educational information to CBS.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I saw the same just moments ago. I couldn't believe what was said. "Time to grow up and get interested in something....models are for children!" What are they thinking?????

Reply to
John X. Volker

Send the president of CBS the Heller 1/96 HMS Victory kit and tell him the 3000 parts are just the thing for a 10 year old.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Well, let me say this...

My father himself said that models are for children. He says to do something else. I collect weapons (rifles and pistols) and turns around and says I don't need to do it. Well, let me say this to him.. Has he had any sex to live up to?

Well, I guess he is an old man does not understand what hobbies are. He goes fishing all the time, but I never told him not to do that.

But anyway, my wife loves me for what I do. So what the s--t.

William

Reply to
William L. Powell

Right! Model Railroading and radio control models are multi million dollar enterprises in this country and kids can't afford that kind of overhead. Plastic models are small peanuts by comparison, but they aren't in the kids pocket money league anymore either.

Last Springfield 03 I bought for the collection was $600, from CMP. And that was a cheapie! You are right, he doesn't understand about hobbies, but I wonder what he calls fishing? I mean, you could always go to the supermarket, and it would probably be cheaper too.

That's all that counts in the end, Bub!

Have a good weekend! Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Okay, and I was gonna get pissed too, and then the story arc followed through--this kid was adept from working with models at seeing what was wrong with Sis's boat, and the dad's acknowledgement and willingness to work side-by-side with the kid was tacit admission that the kid had a clue. It's subtle, and I suspect a lot of people would not get the point, but AFAIC it was really good story-telling, because the point wasn't rubbed in anyone's face.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

We saw it too. As my wife started laughing at my reaction, I told her, "God TOLD me to start building kits!" Pity, I really like Joe Montagnia's acting too.......

The Old Timer

I'll pay the postage!

Reply to
<rgoldman

My ex-wife thought that building models was for children and couldn't figure out why a man would build "toys." Notice I said "ex."

When I started dating my current wife back in '97, I invited her over to the house and upon her seeing all of the model aircraft adorning the entertainment center she said something like, "Wow! How cool that you can build such neat looking things." I knew I had to keep her...

Sean

Reply to
Sean

Ifn the spouse can't support your hobby, let the dumping commence...and that goes both ways IMO.

Cool, good find. I too got pretty lucky. She doesn't just "let" me build models, she ENCOURAGES me to do so. She even prompts me by asking things like "When was the last time you went to the hobby shop? You want to go today?"

I take the whole "models are for kids" comment as a vehicle used by the producers/writers. I think it was meant to show how little Dad really knows his son. The son was a sports star who got hurt and now is in a wheelchair, and Dad just hasn't coped with that. Maybe it's trying to show that Dad can't handle his son's attempts at moving on through the disability or some such. Who knows, I'm not gonna try and analyze it anymore than what I just did.

Reply to
Steve Frost

Indeed, I am lucky to have a wife who supports the hobby, though from time to time she has raised an eyebrow when she sees the closet full of "pending" kits. Whenever we go on a trip to a different city she grabs the phone book and looks for hobby shops. I guess she feels she needs to compensate for making walk into clothing stores with her.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

I used to have one that was really supportive, to the point of buying things for me. I ran into trouble when I'd spend time with them instead of attending to her and her needs. By the time we split I was sure that she needed at least three guys working in shifts to attend to her and her needs.

On a brighter note, Sean, it sounds like you got a good one.

Bill Banaszak, MFE, AWMA

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I almost NEVER watch CBS...I'll add this to my list of reasons...

Reply to
Rufus

I almost never watch the show (or the network, for that matter) but I found their website and sent a politely worded complaint/comment indicating my displeasure (I suspect that's the last I'll hear of it, though).

"The world would be a much better place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier