What WWII Planes Had Chrome Yellow Wings at One Time??

anyone got a list? I was looking thru my fathers old childhood book of planes from around 1940 or so.

they had pics of the Corsair and the B-17 with NMF fuselages and chrome yellow wings.

thx all - Craig

Reply to
crw59

In my older copies of "Air Trails" magazine, I remember seeing the Ryan monoplane trainer, the Seversky P-35 and the Curtiss P-36 (IIRC) done up that way as well. There might have been more, I could check later.

Reply to
The Old Man

IIRC, the old Monogram TBD-1 Devastator and OS2U-3 Kingfisher came with yellow/NMF paint schemes.

Reply to
RobG

how about Vindicators, SBD-1s, Devestators, the original Helldivers and IIRG seeing pictures of an early wildcat somewhere and didn't target tug Hellcats have yellow wings also?

Reply to
Daryl

Reply to
Ron Smith

Nobody mentioned the Brewster Buffalo

Markm

Reply to
Mark M

can anyone confirm/deny if a B-17 was ever NMF/chrome yellow wings? B-17 A?B?C?

would love to do the Monogram 1/48's in that config, but that won't be terribly accurate....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I have some old air power mags with a story of the original 12 B-17s bought by the aircorp and althought all had NMF nothing is mentioned at all about chrome yellow wings

Reply to
Daryl

Don't think so - the USAAF directive eliminating the yellow upper wings and tail surfaces for all aircraft (except trainers) was issued in 1936.

The first YB-17s weren't delivered until early 1937. The prototype Model 299 was earlier, of course, but that aircraft was never formally a USAAF aircraft. None of the photos of the 299 seem to show a yellow wing in any event.

The Navy kept the yellow wing longer but so far as the Army Air Force is concerned, no aircraft, except trainers, delivered after 1936 should have had the yellow wing.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Were the yellows the same for the Army & Navy? I was under the impression that they were different shades.

Bill Shatzer wrote:

Reply to
frank

Yes - and no.

There were originally two different shades for the two different services with the USAAF yellow being a bit darker and a bit more orange than the Navy equivelent.

With the introduction of the ANA (Army Navy Aircraft) paint specifications in 1939, a single yellow was called for for both services.(1)

Of course, by that time, the USAAF had discontinued painting the wings yellow on service aircraft so the use of the new ANA yellow by the AF was restricted to trainers and various ID markings.

(1)Undoubtably existing stocks of the old colors were used up even after the new specifications were adopted.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

IIRC early PBYs also carred this color scheme.

My favorite is the early F4F Wildcat. I have one in front of me, 1/72 Easy Model. Fuselage and underside of the wings are silver. Upper surfaces of the wings are yellow, wrapped over the leading edges a bit. Tail surfaces are green, cowling white. Whte bands trimmed in black around the aft fuselage and as diagonal stripes on the wings. Old style roundels upper and lower wing surfaces and on the fuselage ahead of the windscreen just behind the cowling.

One of the best and most colorful color schemes ever applied to a USN aircraft. I'm really tempted to do one from a kit one of these days. In the mean time this one looks great on the shelf. :-)

Tom

Bill Shatzer wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

The Corsair prototype was silver & yellow.

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

Reply to
frank