When is it no longer the kit you bought?

Back in those day's I was still in primary school, so I might be a bit hazy on facts, but wasn't the Airfix kit also around then? Maybe I'm just being cheap, but wouldn't adding wheel bulges to Airfix wings have much the same result, without having to merge two kits into one?

While we're on the subject of old Phantoms, a small point of curiosity: The Hasegawa E had Falcon launchers and missiles, but the quality of those was deplorable (at bit like the real thing). Does anyone know of other 1/72 Phantom kits that have these weapons, or even just the launchers?

Good! I don't get embarassed all that easily, and I totally love being spoiled:-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Yeah, it was. Building decent Phantom models 'backinaday' was quite the adventure, especially for those that wanted a Spey-engined variant....

I suppose so but the old Hasegawa E was a much better starting point than the Airfix kit. Besides, you'd still have been missing the bigger main gear tires and wheels, and the later model afterburner nozzles.

Granted, the Airfix kit was later revised to include optional parts for later model Phantoms but it always had just the thin wing and the same crappy canopy it started out with.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

This was the variant of the kit I had in mind. I don't think the earlier, F-4B only, variant was ever sold new during my "working" life.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Young whippersnapper...... ;-p