Why I shop at Salvation Army

Monogram OA-4M, 3.99. The box looked like it'd been stored under a pile in a leaky garage; there was dried mud flakes on the box, and it was crush and taped with masking tape. But inside the only damage was a crewman's leg snapped off and a water spot on the decal sheet over the "Navy" markings--I would do "Marines" anyway. Not exactly an F-35, but a great, "busy" plane with a lot of details to have fun with.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

My wife runs the base thrift shop. She sets aside incoming model kits and asks me to check to see if they are complete (I'll bag loose parts, decals, have even photocopied instructions from my own collection to put in the box). I then give her an approximate price.

Of course, if the kit is something I'd be interested in, I buy it. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

save me those lindberg germans, please.

I kinda got turned off of thrift shops when they started selling used underwear...ick...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

But! some of that is/was hardly used Presidential undergarments. Maybe even hardly used First Lady or Attorney General undergarments..

Yeah, you are right.. Eeeech!

oxmoron1

Reply to
OXMORON1

many states don't allow that.

Although they have some good deals on jackets and shirts I would have to be pretty hard up to buy a hat or a pair of shoes there. I don't think they spray for athletes foot or lice? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

not sure,but have you ever smelled some of that stuff...no way would I want to wear it pre-stained lol Here's another good one...a nice hobby shop in my area was bought out some years ago,the new owner was...well I shouldn't say in here...anyhow,they had leaky plumbing,and the models were right under the exposed pipes.Every single model in the store was soaked,moldy and smelled like the leak must have been from the toilet...and they still wanted full price.I never bought another kit there.They also never got new stock in for over a year.The owners wife slowly took over the store,for the exciting business of sewing names on friends bowling shirts! Needless to say they are no longer in business...it's a computer store now. I only hoped they fixed that leak!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Aurora Green Beret 25¢, complete with instructions. Gave the box to a friend to complete his kit for resale, the weapons to another for an Arnold Schwarzenegger figure model that he was working on and I converted the remainer into an axe-wielding barbarian. -- John ___ __[xxx]__ (o - ) --------o00o--(_)--o00o-------

The Old Timer

both of those are a non issue. athelete's foot requires warm and wet. lice need blood. any shoe not worn for a while will have neither. i have bought many nice leather shoes and bootrs from thrift stores and never a problem. worst thing was having to shine them up. shades of daddy's dress boots, batman!

I bought a brown worn yank leaver jacket for 4 quid, nice, and a decent green trendy bird pulling jacket for a couple, i only went in looking for a/c pictures.

I thought i looked like Tom Cruise in the jacket off TG, but im told i look like a tit

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

in article 9W0Fb.776$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, JULIAN HALES at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 12/20/03 12:54 PM:

Like a tit? ...mental image... do you need to lose some weight? Smallish hat size?

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

bird, breast, or poof?

A buck for a Wiliams Brothers Martin B-10, complete, excellent condition.

See the current issue of Warbirds International 23/1, pg.49 for the best find of the century. A small antique store in Forney, Texas. Full sized MiG-17, looks to be in good condition.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Jules, Would that be a left tit or a right tit?

RobG (the Aussie one)

"JULIAN HALES" said

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

complete tit

Reply to
JULIAN HALES
[stuff removed]

pardon bill! wot's or are hesshaimers?

trevor

Reply to
87015

Lindberg's illegitimate German children. I haven't heard how old they are but apparently he was fooling around on Ann.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

*reluctant pedant mode on*

Charles Lindbergh (note the "h" at the end) = First solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927.

Paul Lindberg = Manufacturer of notoriously inaccurate model kits.

*reluctant pedant mode off*

Yes, I used to get them confused too...

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall