WW1 Tanks

Hi all

I am chasing 1/76 or 1/72 scale models of World War One tanks - they were known as MkI through to Mk IV, I believe. Also called Big Willie and Little Willie and were used in the battle of the Somme etc. I am told.

If anyone has any of these built or unbuilt, I would love to hear from you as I am creating a diorama and would like to use them.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Interesting topic......so what sort of diorama are you thinking of..??

Reply to
Arcusinoz

A rail one, so no one in the group may find it interesting at all

:)

...... I am building a 1930's British model railway layout that will include a range of pre-1900 locomotives that have been mounted on freight carriages, in preparation for their being taken for preservation/restoration. As I was doing it, I thought I would like to do the same with a couple of World War One tanks. Rail is how most of them were transported to their final resting places at museums and various commemorative sites.

I have done one 1850's locomotive so far, with scale chain and lifting rigs etc. Engine and tender are on separate wagons and look OK, but will look better when I build a couple of platforms for men to stand lookout on...... these were necessary as the locos were pretty high when mounted on top of wagons.

Their destination is intended to be a large Victorian building complex, yet to be built, but as all modellers know, mental planning is the best first step.

Thanks for the interest - hope I have bored you senseless!

Steve Australia

Reply to
mindesign

Ya know ??

Ya could post some pic's so we all can see :)

AM

Reply to
AM

Now I'm curious, which locomotive did you do, or was it a scratch-build? I have an Airfix Stevenson "Rocket" (to be converted to a "Northhampten" (sp?) and several old Strombecker pre-American Civil War locomotives, but I'm always curious about others.

BTW, in the States, most older locomotives were restored off-site and then (in the case of the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, PA) temporary tracks were laid to the building. A portion of wall was removed and the locomotive was wheeled in. The tracks were removed and the wall repaired/rebuilt. This was back in the 1930s, IIRC. I read about it when stationed there in the service in the mid-1960s.

Reply to
Old Timer

I will be happy to when I am done, and can post a couple of the work I have done to date with the Stirling Single loco and tender along with a breakdown crane set, but isn't this a non-binary group and therefore no attachments are allowed??

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Hi Steve,

You can post them at alt.binaries.models.scale

Hope to see some over there.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

Just to say that 'Little Willie' and 'Big Willie'(better known as 'Mother') were not used in combat.

Both were only made from bolier plate, and while 'Little Willie' was the first tank in the modern sense, 'Mother' was the prototype for the Mk. Is.

Little Willie still exists in the Bovington Tank Museum, Mother was scrapped after surving as a test bed.

JH

Reply to
max

OK, let's talk WWI tanks. Obviously you want the British ones and you have a choice of two (or three, dependent on how you look at it). Airfix made what they called a MK1. It was actually a mix of MK1, 2 and 3, but at least it had the tail wheels. Sadly, this kit is now out of production. The other choice is Emhar. They make a MKIV Male and Female. They're pretty accurate. Only the back end of the sponsons need attention. Also, the tracks can be glued using superglue (unlike the Airfix kits). Matador do a number of resin correction kits for the Airfix model. They reange from a MK1 correction kit, to a radio tank. Lastly, Osprey do a book on the WWI tank. Lots of nice piccies in there.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

Steve

I take it that you are workng in OO Gauge (1/76 scale).

There are about 130 WWI vehicles of all types n 1/76 and 1/72 scale. British vehicles compose over thirty of these in all mediums from injecton molded to cast resin. In most cases 1/72 should be close enough for your needs. It may be academic, though, as all but the Retromodels 1917 Gun Carrer, Whipped Medium Tank; EMHAR Mk.IV Female, Mk.IV Male and Whippet Medium Tank Mk.A are 1/76 scale.

I can post a complete lst if you like or fill you in on what has been produced for your specific needs. Either way, let me know. Once you know what has been produced you can seek t.

BTW, your project is of interest to a lot of folks on RMS. Thanks for posting.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

squadron has them. they have the little french tank, too. ft17?

bored me to the point of wanting pictures of your work so far.

those are different form the mother and males?

yes please Tom! A military museum is not out of the question for the layout and I'd love to see a range of WW1 vehicles - that way I have a choice and an education to build my "It-all-happened-like-this-back-then" story, when talking to other modelling tragics.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

just subscribed to alt.binaries.models.scale and it seems to be empty - I wonder if this is at ISP level and I need to request they get it for me?

Any ideas?

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Give it a while, the posting there is no where near as prolific as in here. I've seen it empty for days.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

OK, here it is straight from the ESM 72 database:

GREAT BRITAIN

AEC Y Type Lorry MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Ammunition Caisson IT FIGURES/IT MINIATURES Cast Metal 1/76 Austin Armored Car 1914 REVIRESCO Cast Resin 1/76 B Type Bus 1914 VARNEY/TRANSPORT REPLICAS Cast Metal 1/76 Crosly Tender REVIRESCO Cast Metal 1/76 Dennis Fire Engine 1914 VARNEY/TRANSPORT REPLICAS Cast Metal 1/76 Gun Carrier 1917 RETROMODELS Cast Resin 1/72 Limber IT FIGURES/IT MINIATURES Cast Metal 1/76 Leyland Subsidy 3 Ton 1913 JADE MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Little Willie Tank 1915 MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin/Cast Metal 1/76 Mk.I Female Tank CRUSADER MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Mk.I Male Tank AIRFIX Injection Molded 1/76 CRUSADER MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Mk.I Wireless Tank MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Mk.II Female Tank MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Mk.II Male Tank CRUSADER MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Mk.IV Female Tank EMHAR Injection Molded 1/72 Mk.IV Female Tank IT FIGURES/IT MINIATURES Cast Metal 1/76 Mk.IV Male Tank EMHAR Injection Molded 1/72 IT FIGURES/IT MINIATURES Cast Metal 1/76 Mk.IVb Light Tank ERIC CLARK MODELS/ECM Cast Resin 1/76 Mk.V Tank CROMWELL MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Pierce-Arrow Armored Lorry with 2 Pdr. Pom Pom Gun MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Rolls-Royce 1914 Pattern Armored Car RETROMODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Rolls-Royce 1914 Pattern European Armored Car RETROMODELS Cast Resin

1/76 Rolls-Royce 1914 Pattern Tropical Armored Car RETROMODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Rolls-Royce 1916 Pattern Armored Car RETROMODELS Cast Resin 1/76 Whippet Medium Tank AHKETON Cast Metal 1/76 FIREFORCE Cast Metal 1/76 MATADOR MODELS Cast Resin 1/76 RED STAR Cast Resin 1/76 RETROMODELS Cast Resin 1/72 Whippet Medium Tank Mk.A EMHAR Injection Molded 1/72 MILICAST Cast Resin 1/76

That's pretty much how the list appeared in ESM 72 Vol.6,,#4 which also contains listings of WWI artillery, figures and much more with a good many illustrations. Order from:

MAI/ESM 72

38 Prince Royal Passage Corte Madea, California 94925

Subscription is $25 (four issues) $30 outside the US by check or money order in US$ drawn on a US bank. Please specify which volume(s) you are ordering. We are currently preparing Vol.9,#1.

Hope ths helps.Now you need to find the kit(s) that you need.

Happy modelng,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

That's Old #60000, a Baldwin locomotive that is still in working order. They run it a few feet up and down the tracks in the exhibit hall every day.

Here is a link to the Franklin Institute's page on the locomotive, with some photos taken when the train was put into the building:

(click the About the Exhibit tab)

Reply to
MJ Rudy

try a post to abtest. if you see it, you're ok.

For what it's worth, I've Posted a couple of pics of the WWI tanks I have on the binaries group.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun