WW2 US Uniform colours?

Does anyone know what colour to paint US WW2 normandy uniforms, using Humbrol or other types of paint?

TIA

DS

Reply to
Meee

That should be colors, plural. Broadly speaking, the M1941 wool field uniform was a brown shade of Olive Drab, with a light tan or greenish windbreaker-style jacket, known as the Parsons Jacket. It was being superseded by the M1943 uniform, which had a longer, skirted jacket, and was a more green color, with matching pants. Helmets and metal articles of kit were No. 9 Olive Drab. Webbing was in various shades of tan or light green. Boots were russet leather. If this sounds maddeningly vague, you have to bear in mind that enormous number of small subcontractors manufacturing these products for the US government. Once in service, particularly under field conditions, fabrics would fade, so no two items should be exactly the same color. I suggest you do a web search for US Army uniforms. You will find sites with color photos of preserved uniforms, as well as reenactment groups, that will give you a better idea of the range of shades seen. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

This is as good as any a guide I've seen. I can't vouch for it though, never tried it. I custom mix my paints as needed.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Meee wrote the following:

What the US Army wore in WWII was stretching the word 'Uniform'. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Great site - thanks :-)

DS

Reply to
Meee

what about taking a look at the Band of Brothers or Pvt Ryan movies to see how the uniforms look. Those movies were accurate in this regard ??

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59